Sunday, December 23, 2012

Mom types the Christmas letter

We slept in a little. Chris showered and went down to breakfast. The toilet overflowed so a repair man came to fix and clean up. He came three times before the job was done. By then I had finished my pre-packed breakfast, so I took a shower and packed up. It was after 10 'till we got back on the road. We finished yesterday's book on CD and started another one in the same series. We stopped for lunch about 12:30. Then we drove through to Chester to pick up some kimchi. We arrived at the Reber's just after 4. The diningroom table was awash in bags of used wrapping paper. So I started wrapping the gifts that I had had sent to the house. Mom and Dad arrived 20 minutes later, but I wasn't finished yet. Al, the neighbor across the street, came over with a tin of fudge for my parents. I did my best to keep Dad on track for getting supper ready. He is so distractable. When he was almost ready to put the pizzas in the microwave, Patrick came over. I am not sure why since he came over yesterday. Anyway, he started talking about kimchi so I gave him the container I bought in Chester as surprise Christmas present. We will probably see him again on Christmas Day, but oh well. Some presents are early. After supper Dad gave me some presents to wrap. Then Mom started doing Christmas cards. She handed them to me to address. Then she dictated a Christmas letter, which I wrote down. She wanted to take it to the typewriter, but there was too much stuff in the way. So I got out my laptop to type it up. I asked her if she would like to do it, and she said yes. It must have been very frustrating for her to use the hunt and peck method when she is a trained typist, but with her right hand permanently clenched, what else could she do? The outcome would have been much nicer on a regular typewriter. Her wrists kept hitting the touchpad and it made the cursor jump around, and activated pop-ups, etc. But she kept at it until it was finished. Then she wanted to go to bed, so I took her back there and went through the nightly routine. After she was in bed, I re-typed the letter and saved it. Now I have to type up my blog and I will be ready for bed myself.

No comments: