Sunday, December 16, 2012

Looking for Bacteria

I got up this morning, put both feet on the floor and immediately knew that I wasn't going to church. I selected some clean clothes and crawled into the bathroom. Then I came back for the shower chair. I was able to use it like a walker to get back to the bathroom. I sat on it for my shower, then toweled off and got dressed. With pair of high wedge shoes, I was able to hobble to the dining room. I realize I took a bit of a chance, but it felt good to almost walk. I used the rolling chair to go around the kitchen assembling my breakfast. Then I ate in front of my laptop, reading e-mail. Chris brought me my ice pack. Around noon I plugged in the paraffin bath to make sure it worked. I put in the three blocks of paraffin wax. At 2 I ate a large salad and some kimchi. The wax was only partially melted. I worked on crocheting a scarf in two shades of blue. I researched bacteria. From one of the audios I learned that 80+ percent of people are deficient in vitamin K2. It helps Vitamin D3 do its thing and keeps calcium from depositing in the wrong places. There is no known toxicity level. Too much D3 can be toxic without some K2 to balance it. Fermented foods like natto and kimchi are high in K2. It is only certain strains of bacteria that produce it. Gouda and Brie have it but many other cheeses don't. So I tried to find out which bacteria it was so I could order some. Several companies sell a 'starter' for fermenting veggies and another one for milk. The plan was to order the cheapest one that had the right strain of bacteria in it. But the search results were too numerous and mostly irrelevant. It is the bacillus subtillus in natto but which one in the kimchi, or the brie? I put together a Swansons order so I will have plenty of supplements through the Christmas holiday. Chris went to the grocery store without me. But he got what I would have gotten. At 7 I e-mailed the seller of the paraffin bath to say that the wax hadn't all melted yet and that I thought it wasn't heating up like it should. An hour later she wrote back asking how much hadn't melted. I told her 10% (at the 8 hour mark). I dipped my left hand in three times, covered it with a baggie and put one of the mitts on. It felt good, but not something to blog about. After maybe 10 minutes, I took it off and the wax peeled off easily. Then I joined Chris downstairs and we watched "Sharpe's Enemy". He helped me climb up the stairs after it was over. I can walk gingerly now and hope to be even better in the morning. * I don't have any pics from today, so here is another one from the party on Monday *

No comments: