Thursday, December 20, 2012

Wrapping things up on the day before the world ends

I got to bed quite late last night. I had found a website selling the unlocatable item and an internet search brought me company coupons that would allow me to use 2-day shipping for half the cost. But that all took time, and it was past midnight when I got to bed. So I arose later than usual. I checked e-mail, listened to audios and made breakfast. No grease fires today. While listening, I was able to wrap up the gifts I have so far. I did not have tags to put on them, so we may have a new Christmas procedure this year: hand out the gifts randomly, then open them and guess who they are intended for. It rained all morning. So I did not take out the recyclables. I checked the basement for leaks but did not find any. Because of the rotted collars, the question is no longer 'why is there water in the garage?' The real question is 'why isn't there water anywhere else?' After wrapping the presents, practicing my trombone and emptying the dishwasher, I decided to treat myself to some sewing. I used the fabrics in the quiltsicle to make the quilt block according to the instructions given to me on Monday. I discovered that there was enough for two, so I cut out two and sewed them up. My dad called during this process to ask if there was anything he could buy for us on his weekly shopping trip. I stopped just short of being finished with the blocks because my laptop battery needed recharging. So I read e-mail in the diningroom for awhile to let the battery charge up, crocheted more rows onto the hat I started a day or two ago. Chris came home and fixed himself supper. I went down to finish the two blocks and cut out more pieces. There was enough of everything to make 5 blocks, except the background fabric. It would only make 3. Then it was 6:30. I gathered up the items I had set aside for quilt guild and left for the church. This time the room was set up in rows of tables instead of the usual chairs. I turned in a kit to the raffle table. Hopefully they can sell it. Then I looked around the room for anyone I knew so I could sit with them. I saw Tammy and Rebecca first. I sat with them and then Myrna came over to invite me to sit with the Monday group. But I did not want to offend Tammy and Rebecca. I was going to at least go over and say 'hi' to the Monday group, but the meeting started right then. The president read a quilting version of The Night Before Christmas. Then we had the usual meeting stuff, but it didn't take long. Then 12 pre-picked people sang a quilt version of the 12 Days of Christmas. Following that, each table of ladies had to sing a Christmas song for the group before they could be excused to the refreshment table. My table was full, but the next table only had two people. So I moved over one seat to sing with them. Sadly we each started on a different note so it did not go well. I did go through the refreshment line, picking up nuts and cheese. I should not have eaten anything since it was after 5, but I forgot. Then we had a Christmas show-and-tell. I had my Christmas tablerunner to show. Several people came over after the event to get a closer look. They admired my two-fabric binding. I met another lady who invited me to come quilt with her group one Sunday a month. She and another lady rent a storage unit big enough to house a longarm. Guess what is in it? Their group meets in the same building. She gave me her phone number. By the time I got home, it was almost 9. I quickly got caught up on e-mail then we watched an episode of Sherlock Holmes downstairs. We could hear the wind howl, but were cozily wrapped in two quilts. Then Chris went to bed, and soon it will be my turn.

No comments: