Saturday, December 1, 2012

A day over 49

A 50th birthday ought to be special, and yet it started out very ordinary. I exercised, ate breakfast, listened to audios. One of my inbox articles talked about being Schroogled. This refers to Google now listing search results in an order based on how much each site paid them. So I tried Dogpile with a search for how to use my laptop as a timer. I tried it yesterday with google but had no luck. But with dogpile I found what I wanted. It was a link to timeanddate.com. I entered 1 hour and went back to e-mail. An hour later, I heard a 'ding'. But I had to leave that window open for it to work. I took my laptop downstairs to listen to while I ironed. I finished all the small pieces of fabric, but only got a few of the larger pieces. I showered, dressed and went to the post office to mail a package to Michele. The lady ahead of me in line said that the priority mail boxes (like the one in my hands) were intended for home pickup. Gee, so I didn't have to stand in line? When I got home, I boiled some water and soaked a package of coconut flakes in it. I raked leaves for hopefully an hour (my watch isn't working) then came in and made a large salad. I put about a third of the coconut in the blender with some coconut water and turned it on. Sadly I did not remember to put the top on, so there was an explosion of coconut all over the kitchen. Yikes! I then put the top on and wiped, wiped, wiped as it blended. Each batch ran for three minutes. It all fit into my fermented coconut jar, which means I lost a significant amount the first time. I did my daily meditation in the bedroom and Chris found me there when he got home. He gave me a birthday card. We both changed clothes, and then he drove us to Mikawa, a highly recommended Japanese restaurant. It is on a side street with nothing else, so I don't know how anyone would stumble across it. But they have a website and word of mouth. I wasn't overwhelmed with the ambiance, but the food was very good. I ordered the sashimi dinner, which was raw fish. Chris ordered the roasted mackerel. Our meals came with tempura vegetables and rice. I did not eat my rice, but saved it to make kimbap. Chris took my picture in front of their Christmas tree. Then we went to the mall to shop for a watch. Dillards watches started at $55.00. They were nice but I did not see exactly what I wanted. Then we went to a jewelry store. Their watches were closer to $400. But the watches were no more appealing than the $55 ones. Then we went to Belks. On the way we passed Auntie Annies pretzel stand. I wanted a big soft pretzel. Chris bought one and we shared it. It was good but not as good as I expected. It could have baked a little longer. Belks had a display of $20 watches. But very few had stretchy bands and I didn't want to mess with a clasp that is disguised as another link. So then we went to Target. I found two, one dressier than the other and they were $22 each. Chris said I could have both. So now I have one for everyday and one for dressy occasions. We watched several episodes of Get Smart and went to bed.

No comments: