Friday, December 21, 2012

The end of time as we know it

I was awake in the middle of the night, but then slept in much later than I planned. I read e-mail, then fixed three copies of breakfast: one for today and two for the weekend. I opened my box of bacteria which arrived last night. I took out a packet of kefir culture starter and put about half in a pot of coconut water. I heated it and stirred, then added it to the fermented coconut milk that I keep for breakfasts. I placed the jar in a box with a heating pad to keep it warm so that it might ferment more quickly. I unwrapped the gifts from Mary. How did she know of my secret love for gridded wrapping paper? The gifts were lovely too, of course. I listened to a number of audios and one video of a man giving a talk about numbers. He is known as the human calculator. He is one of the founders of World Math Day, and is proposing a new calendar, one with 13 months of 28 days each, and New Year's Day would be Day 0. Thus, the end of time as we know it. I was able to get Linda on the phone. She said they expect a foot of snow and that her mother is doing well. After a late lunch, I went outside to pick up all the branches that fell in the recent wind and rain. Then I proceeded to rake up leaves and debris under the magnolia tree. Chris came home early and started laundry. When I finished raking, I watered my garden greenhouse. The Christmas lights are still on to keep it warm, but I fear they will dry it out before we get back. I came in to read more e-mail. I ate two large salads for supper to use up the salad greens. I finished sewing the third tree block, then auditioned fabrics to replace the background so I can make two more. I got the pieces cut, but not sewn. When I came up, Chris was texting Michele on my computer through Skype. Then he left and I called her because talking is easier and faster. She was wrapped in blankets, sitting in her nightgown. She has one paper left and it is due on Monday. How odd is that? She had not yet gotten the box we sent her for Christmas. I urged her to get it before she leaves tomorrow. We watched several episodes of Sherlock Holmes downstairs. Now we must turn in so we can get up early to pack. * Here is quilt from show-and-tell last night *

No comments: