Thursday, August 7, 2014

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs

I woke up a little after 7. I thought of going to the beach for a walk, but wanted to be here to say goodbye to Larry and Dottie when they left. So I got on my computer. Even though I had shut it down last night, it was awake and waiting for a password. I wanted to run the diagnostic program from yesterday, but when I clicked on it, a pop-up window asked me if I would allow the program to make changes to my computer. I googled to see what changes it would make, but there was no info on that. I canceled it and read e-mail until my phone alarm rang and I turned it off. Then I went upstairs to be sociable. When they were packed and ready to leave, I asked Becca to take their picture. (They were out by the car and I wasn't dressed) I wanted a pic because I had a feeling I might not see them both again. Then Cecily was ready to go to the beach. So I put on my suit and went with her. I walked in the surf, but thought the water was too rough for me. Mostly I sat on my towel and talked to Cecily. Then James and Becca came out. James went in the water and had a great time. He came out to say that there was a zone where it was easy to bob on the waves. So I went in. I had a good time for awhile, but at some point thought I should be a little closer to the shore. Because the tide was mostly out, the depth was fairly shallow for some distance. However, when I tried to swim closer, I got caught in an undertow. Struggle as I might, I could make no headway. I got scared then and the tension was not good for my back, which made me more scared. I called to James that I was done. He came over and helped me toward the shore. But my strength ran out before we got there, and he had to carry me. When we got to the shore I could not stand. So I lay in the surf until my breathing slowed and then Al helped me up. Cecily picked up my towel for me and I went back to the house. I tried to wash off the sand in the outdoor shower, but there was only hot water, so I got out pretty quickly. I floated on my back in the pool. It was very calming. Then I noticed a hose running cold water into the pool. I guess that is why there was no cold water in the shower. After a while I came in, took a real shower (with soap and everything) and put on regular clothes. I read some e-mail. I asked Bryan about the diagnostic and he said it would not make changes, but needed to run with admin privileges to show all the functions. So I ran it. Then I made breakfast and ate it, and worked on Masyu puzzles. I watched Bryan cut up onions and make meatballs. Then he put them in the oven to bake. When the Masyu puzzles were all gone, I turned to Skyscraper puzzles. After taking a long time to complete one puzzle, I tried looking for clues to solve it in easier ways. I checked e-mail again and got one from Faye about Dad. So I called Dad and we talked about some papers he couldn't find and I made suggestions on where to look. He also told me about visits to doctors. Then it was supper time, so I hung up with him and went upstairs to eat supper. Those who had gone to play miniature golf were back. For supper we had meatballs, sauce, peas, spaghetti, stirfry veggies, and chopped tomatoes. Then we pitched in to clean up. I went back to my room to check the latest e-mail, then came up to hang out. Al said that Chris was on Skype, so I came back down to interact with him. Then he brought Al into the conversation on skype. Al was upstairs where James and Becca could chime in. He gave them a tour of his quarters by laptop. It was dizzying. And not in good focus. When that call was over, I went up to verify that the picture behind Al was level, not skewed like it appeared to be on skype. It was time to blog and go to bed, so I got a glass of water to drink in the morning. Then Al asked about Dad and Kelly joined the conversation. Somehow we got on the subject of exercise. Finally I took my glass and went to my bedroom. I wrote my blog post and planned to sleep in the room vacated by Larry and Dottie to see if it was any quieter than this one. 
*  This is me before almost getting swept away by the tide  *

No comments: