Wednesday, August 6, 2014

I learned a lot today. Hope there is no quiz.

I woke up around 7:30. I put on my suit and went to the beach. It was sunny for once. I walked south. I came to the pier thingy that I saw two days ago, but it was buried much deeper today. I could not tell if there was a pipe buried under this one like the one to the north. When I walked back, I missed the stairs to our walkway. When I saw the hotel, I knew I had gone too far. I looked back and saw Dottie standing on the stairs, so I walked to her and we chatted on the way back to the house. Then I went in the pool for a swim. I got a twinge of pain in my back and thought about how bad it would be if it seized while I was in the pool. So I went in, dried off, and got dressed. I went upstairs to sit and listen to conversations until it was late enough to have breakfast. I was talking to Al about how hot my computer got, and Bryan said he could fix that. He checked a few things on my laptop. He reduced the clickable area on my mousepad so I would not lose data unexpectedly. Then he got out his screwdriver-of-many-bits and took my laptop apart. More than one person has told me that taking a laptop apart is serious business and don't do it. But he disassembled it until he got to the fan. He took it out and pulled out a wad of dust as thick as felt. Then he reassembled it up to the user-serviceable part. He had me do the rest. I booted it and it said the fan wasn't working. So he re-disassembled it, hooked up a fan cable and reassembled it. I spent the time watching Cindi watercolor cardstock. She makes beautiful cards. Becca showed me how she spins roving into yarn. Then Bryan ran a diagnostic on my battery which included reconditioning it. I did not even know that that was possible. It might have taken 4 hours. He explained many things to me, much of which I barely understood and probably will not remember. He looked up computer batteries for sale, as well as memory cards and SSD drives. When the battery utility finished, we determined that the battery life was 7 minutes (running at full capacity). So, the battery did need replacing. He also downloaded several diagnostic programs and one that computes prime numbers. The value of that program is to stress the cpu to see what its capabilities were. It maxed out my ram, indicating that my laptop needed more memory to run faster. He also recommended a SSD drive instead of the disc-type hard drive that I have now, because it will be less taxing on the battery and run faster. By then it was time to go to The Flying Fish. Some of us walked, and some of us rode in cars. I put on pants and a sleeved shirt and a wrap to keep warm. The 4 oldest of us sat at a table for 4 and the rest of us sat at a table for 10. Each kid sat with a parent. Kelly and I sat in the middle. One of the kids said lets cover the table cloth (paper) with hashtags, so we did. We used the crayons that the restaurant staff provided for the kids. Bryan drew waves on the table cloth and then a tornado with a shark for #sharknado. This was just the start. We added other images: a flaming bat which turned into a Nazgul, a volcano, a firewall, a tomato (for #tomatonado), #chardonnaydo, etc. Becca and I ordered a seafood soup which was delicious. I watched Cindi and Olivia get decadent desserts. Cecily ordered one to go. Then the Carlson's drove back, then some of us walked home, leaving three to pay the bill and drive back. Those three had to carry Cecily's dessert. Brian downloaded something to scan my startup file for malware. That ran for a long time. He looked at my laptops stats again, including temp and memory usage. Chris popped up on Skype. He got to talk to Dottie and Larry, as well as Bryan, Cindi and Kelly. They all went to bed and finally it was just me. Then the connection broke. So I took the laptop to my bedroom and started typing my blog. I tried unplugging the laptop. The battery icon said it had enough power for an hour (not at full capacity). Sadly it shut down a few minutes later. The malwarebytes program detected one item in the system file. I googled it and learned that it was not needed so I let the program delete it. I finished posting and went to bed.

No comments: