Sunday, August 31, 2014

An amazing quilt

Last night I re-set my alarm for 7:30 to give me time to filter the rain water in the morning before church. That worked well, and was just enough time to get it all done and put in jars before I had to take my shower and get ready for church. I thought to myself that this was the best kind of Sunday – there was nothing I had to remember to bring to church and no one to be sure to talk to after church. So when I sat in the pew, I relaxed. In his sermon, the pastor spoke about how carrying the cross meant forgetting your own worries and doing things you night not want to do for others. After the service, Portia came over and told me to call if there was anything I needed. Then I stood in line with someone I don't recognize, but she knew Chris was gone and was asking how things were going for me. I shook hands with the pastor and the intern. Then the pastor's wife came up with a bag of items: two pillow tops and patches for a jacket. Both sounded like small projects so I accepted them on the grounds that she would donate to the intern fund. Jeanne told me she had finished the doves for the pulpit cloth and altar cloth. She wants me to call her sometime so we can decide how to attach the doves. Then I signed up to man the bean bag toss game for 45 minutes on Rally Day. Then I spoke to the man who is in charge of the intern fund and offered a quilt to be raffled or auctioned. Finally it was time to go shopping. I changed my shoes in the car and drove to Publix. I did not buy much since I have veggies left from last week and tomatoes from my garden and my neighbor's garden. I bought a cabbage and an onion to make the fermented sauerkraut that I saw in a recent video. When I got home, I brought my groceries in and took off my dress. I folded clothes from yesterday trying to decide what to wear today. I made breakfast and the rain started again. I put the collection tubs out. I went out to pick flowers and was dismayed to see that most had been crushed by the sudden downpour. I made fermented nut cheese with the cashews and sunflower seeds I soaked last night. I ate a tomato, and laid down. I got up to e-mail a pic of the quilt to the man at church, but got sidetracked by images of a quilt called La Passacaglio. O.M.G.!!! I HAD to buy the templates. I doubt I will make the whole thing, but I can use parts in my upcoming yellow quilt. Kurt had told me about tardigrades and suggested that eating them might confer upon me some of their properties. So I looked into that with the internet but could find no evidence that people have actually eaten them. I folded more laundry and got dressed for dinner. I grabbed an umbrella and the flowers and went out to the car. I put the vase of daisies in the cup holder but could not find my keys. I thought I remembered pulling them off the wall, but there they were. The flowers made it to their destination, and it was an easy drive. I wore my new distance glasses. I parked in the driveway, and went in with my flowers and umbrella. I was greeted by Paige and Tim, and their two dogs. I sat in kitchen while they cooked, 'till Mary arrived. Then we went outside to look at the flowerbeds and herb bed. He cut herbs for us: stevia, basil, marjoram. She gave us cups of water to put the herbs in to take home later. Then we moved into the diningroom. Salads were sitting on the table. He said grace and we ate and talked. Then they brought out a roast and wild rice and a broccoli casserole. Later they brought out bread pudding, but I said Mary could have my piece. Conversation flowed easily as we talked about pipe organs, pop music, movies, rocket science, and unusual foods. Finally Mary and I said our goodbye's. She left and we stood outside my car talking about driving standard. Then he warned me about the curve of the driveway before I left. I backed out and turned around to head to the entrance. The drive home was really easy, no traffic. The cups of herbs made it safely home. But I had to set them on the railing to unlock the door and one fell over. I came in, and right away checked my laptop and saw a message from Chris. So I messaged him back. It took a few tries for Skype to connect, but it finally did and we had our nightly chat. Then he went to bed and I posted to my blog.

No comments: