Friday, August 1, 2014

Medallion certification

I got up early, kind of. I read e-mail, exercised, and bathed. I used the red bath towel twice and still wasn't dry so I got another towel. It must have been one of those non-absorbent towels. I got dressed, and made breakfast. Dad offered me a taste of his almond milk, and it was pretty good. I took my supplements. I tried to put a box of garbage bags away, but he told me they belonged on the diningroom table. I looked up on internet how to change ownership of stock when the owner is deceased. I typed in a paragraph for Dad on his laptop about visiting the county clerk. We printed the change of ownership form. Dad filled it out while I sat there answering his questions and looking up treatments for essential tremors (his). After filling out the form by hand, he went to his computer to type it in and print it out again. I started packing and put a load of laundry in the washer. I took some time to clean out the vacuum bag and sweep the rug in the living room. There were some spots of mud that I needed to scrub first. And some smears on the wood floor that I wiped up. Somebody stepped in something and tracked it through the livingroom into the diningroom. I typed a paragraph on his laptop. I put the clothes in the dryer. I looked up affidavits, state tax waivers, small estate limit, backup withholding, etc.  What an education I am getting!  I reset the dryer to run again, pulling out a few things that were dry. We went to the bank for a Medallion stamp (like being notarized on steroids) for the change of ownership form. But they wanted to see the death certificate and letter of testamentary. We did not bring that but they should have had them on file. Those papers could not be located, so I went home for copies. When I went back, I noticed a splinter in my hand. We finished the business at the bank and came home in the rain. I folded clothes from dryer, and packed my carryon and suitcase. I consolidated my foods, and packed up my computer. I could not find tweezers so I used a piece of packing tape to put the splinter out. I drove the station wagon in the rain to the Damour's house. The windshield wipers would only work on the slow intermittent setting. My shoulders kept creeping up to my ears as I drove. I had to remind myself to relax. But we got there. Cecily had a nice meal for us – fish, snow peas, tomatoes (from their garden) and roasted potatoes. Dad wanted to know the difference between baked potatoes and roasted potatoes. No one knew. After supper the conversation continued, and then Dad got in the car, to drive hom in the rain. We were worried, but he called 45 minutes later to say he had driven home on 288 at 50mph so he wouldn't hit any pedestrians. And he hadn't. Michele went to bed early. Al and Cecily and I talked . We all agreed that Dad looked good tonight. They went to bed, and I stayed up to write to my blog. Chris skyped me briefly. But I want to get to bed because we plan to get up before 4:30am to take Michele to the airport (and then go back to bed).
*  Another beautiful sight at the botanical gardens  *

No comments: