Tuesday, August 12, 2014

There is no place like home

I woke up slowly, reaching full wakefulness at 7:30. I exercised and found what I thought was a tick. Cecily was on her computer so I asked her to look. She said it was just a pimple. I washed up then fired up my laptop to read e-mail. I taped closed a box with a drill in it. Finally I ate my last breakfast and packed a few last minute things. Al worked on my suitcase locks so they would hold better. I wondered what the point was since he gave me a strap to put around it that clicks together like a seatbelt. He loaded my luggage in the car and we read in the den until it was time to leave. Then he drove me to the airport and helped me carry in the suitcases and the box of drill. We stopped at a kiosk to print out the boarding passes. But it asked for numbers I did not have. It was an “Oh sh!!” moment. Then another passenger told me I could just swipe my credit card and it would know everything. Well, there was nothing on the screen about credit cards, but there was a cc reader, so I swiped it, and lo and behold, it registered my name and planes, and printed out the passes. Then we stood in line to check the big suitcase and the box. We walked to the start of security and then hugged goodbye. He left and I proceeded to the security guard who asked for my ID. I pulled my cards out of my purse and thumbed through them for my driver's license. But it was not there. Another “Oh sh!!” moment. However, an extensive search of my purse did reveal it. Then I placed all my items on the conveyor belt to be scanned. I was scanned, too, and then picked up my items and rolled them to the gate. I sat and waited, working a Sudoku puzzle. I did not think to stuff my purse into the little rolling suitcase until boarding was called. And then I did not have time. But no one stopped me for having 3 carry-ons. I reached my seat and the gentleman next to me lifted my case into the overhead bin. I put my laptop under the seat ahead and my purse by my feet. I continued my puzzle until we took off and the cloud cover fascinated me. I took several pictures. Cecily had given me an apple to eat, but the stewardess passed out snacks, and one choice was a banana. So I saved my apple for the next flight. When I got to the Atlanta airport, the sign board was low enough that I could read my next gate assignment: B27. Since I was on the C concourse, I rolled my 3 items down a very long hallway to the plane train. I was able to get on the next car. Then, wonder of wonders, I found myself standing next to Chris Rasmussen who is a friend from Augusta! We talked only briefly because the train reached the next concourse quickly. I headed toward my gate. When I had all but reached it, a man in a blue Delta shirt with American Express embroidered on it, stopped me. He wanted to sign me up to get a cc which will give me the chance to earn 50,000 miles if I charge $1000 in 3 months. I asked a million questions because I was skeptical, but it seemed doable as long as I canceled it within a year. 50,000 sky miles just might get me to Honduras. So I signed up. It took so long that when I got back from the bathroom, my plane was boarding. But I made it with no problem. The man I sat next to was in a talkative mood, so the flight went quickly and I did not eat the apple after all. When we landed, I went directly to baggage claim. I called Mary to tell her I was here and she headed over from the Madison library. I walked over to the carousel and watch baggage shoot out. My suitcase came out locked but with the strap hanging loose and unfastened. Then the box popped out. My seatmate grabbed our suitcases as they were next to each other. He also grabbed the box for me. Then we said good bye. He went with his niece and I rolled my baggage out to the curb. I did not have long to wait. Mary picked me up and drove me home. I thanked her and went in through the garage. She left and I examined the yard. The grass was not so high as I had feared, but it was wet, which will be a real problem for my mower. The garden was good in spots (like the ones near the hose ends). I picked and ate a few grape tomatoes. I unpacked a little. I called Cecily to tell her I arrived safely. I opened the windows to air out the house. I called the Asian store to see if they had kimbap, then drove down there to get a package. I ate some on the way back. That and kimchi became supper. I took some pics of the yard, and found three cucumbers and a large tomato that wasn't quite ripe. I went through a large pile of mail and sorted it. Then I read e-mail until Chris skyped me. I showed him the interesting mail (bills). After we talked awhile, I hung up to finish e-mail and post to my blog.
*  these cloud formations made me wonder what kind of weather pattern created them.   *

No comments: