Monday, December 8, 2014

A new-to-me block

I got up at 8 to take my vit C, shower, and dress. I made breakfast and ate it while reading e-mail. Then I put my angel gift in the car and drove to church. I laid it with the other ones at church. I talked to a few people, and then found my usual seat in church. I was there early to watch the children's play. But my regular seat was not a good vantage point. So I did not take any pics. But the children were adorable and the play went very well. After the play, everyone went into the fellowship hall for cookies. The quilt I donated was raffled off. Cecelia won it. The church raised over $500 from the raffle. In a little while the choir gathered to practice. After the practice, I sat back down. Mr. Cox, my pewbuddy, asked about Chris, and somehow the conversation turned to Michele. He was surprised I had a daughter old enough to be working cause he thought I was in my 30's. I decided then that he can sit next to me ANY time. The service went well, and afterward Mary handed me a piece she wants me to play on my trombone for the first Sunday of next year. Then I went to Publix. The bill was almost $100. Something must have gotten pricier. The clerk said it was the organic vegetables. The man who carried out my groceries said his country (Jamaica) was better because all their food was organic. I could not argue with that. I brought the groceries home and put them away. I changed my clothes and put the laundry away. Then I grabbed a container of dates to take along. I used Chris' car 'cause my sewing stuff was still in there. I went to Renegades. They were working on a design of strips sewn around a triangle. I turned in my completed quilt top. Keril gave me fabric to cut for a backing.  She was looking for feeble weight fabric to use as foundations for next month's block. So I went home and pawed through my box of ' fabric seconds' to find a pile for her. When I got back, she picked out the lightest colored ones. Norm showed me a box of toy cars he had made and invited me to pick one. So I did. Later he asked if I had kids at home and needed another one.  (He can sit beside me, too)  There was a lady handing out laminated sheets of paper on which were printed photos that her father took. Many were of Christmas things. I did not take any, but at the end she handed out all that were left and gave me three. I had to piece the backing for my top and was working on that, when the game started. I had brought a gift for the game, not knowing what game it was. It was a dirty Santa game. I should have played it safe and picked the gift I brought, but I chose a different one. Oddly enough, I got Jo's gift and she got mine. I ended up telling the story of how a dirty Santa game in Korea turned me off of dirty Santa games forever. When the excitement was over, we went back to sewing. Keril let me use her new acrylic ruler. It was a prototype that she had cut and scored. It worked well for cutting the strips with the right angle on the ends. I selected a bunch of browns and neutrals and cut trapezoids. Mirna stopped by to lock up. Then everyone packed up, cleaned up, and left. I drove Chris's car home. I finished the fish from last night, and had some hummus with broccoli. Bertha mentioned liking dates with a walnut inside and covered with powdered sugar. I tried putting a walnut inside a date but it was just ok. Then I tried putting fermented nut cheese inside, and that was really good. I unstacked the dishwasher. I read e-mail, and wrote to Kurt on skype. Chris skyped me and we talked for 2 hours. He told me he applied for 4 jobs today. I typed up my blog, and had time to play a little ball before going to bed. BUT, I played too long and missed my bedtime completely.

No comments: