Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Computers are supposed to be time-saving devices

I got up at 7:45. It was raining so I put out my collection tubs. It was also cold in the house because I had forgotten to turn the heat back on. I turned the heat back on. I swished while I read e-mail. William called to give me another name brand of Christmas trees to check out. Then I read for 20 minutes with my HappyLight. Then I read more e-mail, and juiced. I rested while listening to Christmas music to digest. Then I cleaned up the juicer. I put out the mail. I found my sack of something to do, and drove in my car to quilting. Beverly showed me her t-shirt quilt. I looked at another woman's laptop but did not know enough to help her get it online. As we left, there were small vases of flowers on a table and we were encouraged to take them to pass out. I wasn't going to take any, but there were two left and I felt sorry for Jane who would have to carry them along with all her other stuff. So I put them in my car in the cup holders. One tipped over and the water spilled out. As usual, I stopped for kimbap. I also got sprouts and kimchi. I gave the proprietor one of the vases. I ate some of the kimbap in my car. Then I went to the computer store for another memory stick. The price had gone up $4 from last week. My laptop wasn't ready yet. He had a 250GB SSD for over a hundred dollars to sell me. He said it would make my laptop go a lot faster. When I got home, I e-mailed Chris to see if it was a good idea and Chris wrote back that it would not help much. I watched videos of how to install a solid state drive. It seemed like a good idea to have it done by someone who has done it before. I ate the rest of the kimbap with my leftover kimchi. I transferred the new kimchi to the old kimchi jar. Then I went to the seafood store. I gave the other vase to her. She asked about Chris and my dad. She showed me lots of pictures of her daughter who just got accepted to a major college. When I came home, I ate one piece of fish and froze the rest. I looked up how to grow carrot tops. Actually I seem to be doing quite well at sprouting them, but the ones I plant in dirt don't do as well. I installed the new memory stick and turned on the old computer. I listened to a binaural meditation.  I added the maxcache line to the system.ini file, and rebooted. It was in the wrong place and caused all sorts of problems. I e-mailed Chris and tried it again without the old memory. The good news was that I developed an appreciation of how the computer ran before I tried to improve it. I moved the maxcache line and rebooted.  I tried playing a rudimentary game and it did ok.  But everything else ran very slowly so it gave me time between key strokes to check e-mail, put cashews and sunflower seeds in a jar to soak, and make hummus. The tahini had separated into a solid mass and a liquid. Stirring was impossible, so I fashioned a double boiler to warm it up. Eventually that worked, and I finished the hummus. I filled a jar and ate what wouldn't fit in. Then I got PE-Design working on the old computer. I downloaded an embroidery file from a place on the internet and saved it to the flashdrive. Then I moved the flash to the old computer. But I had to reboot to get it to recognize the drive. I had just finished that and was getting the file written to the card that goes in my embroidery machine when Chris skyped me. We talked for an hour. He wants me to visit him in Honduras, but also in San Antonio at a conference he just found out about today. He put no pressure on me so I have time to think about it. I got out the camcorder and tried to revive the battery in the manner that worked on the DeWalt drill. I finished an audio interview with Dr. Norm Shealy. I wrote down what I could remember of my day and posted it to my blog. Now I plan to go to bed.

No comments: