Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas

The alarm woke me up this morning and I had a terrible time finding the phone in my purse so I could shut it off. I rolled over for another 40 winks. I tried to imagine each part of the day going well, but thoughts of Pinehurst kept intruding. So I got up. I washed the sweet potatoes and rubbed them with coconut oil. I put them in a glass pan in the oven and set it for 350. I set the timer for an hour knowing they needed more time. I set 10:30 as my target cook time. I swished and exercised. Dad brought me a gift to wrap. So I went on the attic and got a bag of used wrapping. Then Kurt went up and he was able to reach the rolls of wrapping. As I wrapped the one gift, Dad brought me a bag of others to wrap. He did not give me the names of who they were intended for. I had to stop to eat. I saw it was 11 and ran to get the sweet potatoes out, but they were cold. I tried setting the stove again. I did not do anything differently but checked over and over again to make sure it was heating up and stayed hot. Then I made breakfast and ate it. I wrapped the rest of the presents,When the potatoes were done, I put the pan on the stove top to cool. As my Christmas present, Kurt downloaded some game apps to my tablet: Sudoku and something else. I peeled the potatoes and started mashing them with butter, salt and nuts. Kurt mashed while I tried out the new Sudoku app. Chris called Dad's cell in order to reach me. I finished making the potato casserole and put it on the table. Kurt and I spent some time finding other places to put all the clutter from the dining room table. Faye and Kevin came over with ham, beans, red potatoes and pineapple casserole. While they were getting the food cooking in the kitchen, William arrived. Patrick came, too, at some point. While the ham cooked, Dad played his accordion and Faye and I sang. Playing the accordion was a little painful for my father's shoulder. So then we opened presents. I got a Sudoku calendar.  I hadn't bought gifts, so I handed out cash.  When the ham was done, we gathered in the diningroom to eat. I skipped the pineapple casserole because of the sugar, but I did eat the ham in spite of the glaze. It caught up with me later. For dessert, we passed around the fudge (among other things) and it got dropped (accidentally) into the pineapple casserole. I hear the two went great together. Faye did most of the cleaning up. I communicated with Chris on Skype. Everyone got to say hello to him, After Faye and Kevin left, I talked to William about suitcases like mine, and replacing the wheel. It is possible. Then he left, and I helped Dad order some shoes online. Then we talked about ordering a magazine for William. Dad wanted to check the 11pm weather on TV, but just missed it, so I looked it up online. I checked Dad's e-mail to get the confirmation number. Then I downloaded pics from DropBox to send to Chris. I took some notes for my blog and downloaded the pics.  And now it is past time for bed.

No comments: