Sunday, December 28, 2014

Meeting new people

I got up before 8 and took a shower. I was back in the bedroom by the time the alarm sounded. Dad was going to skip Sunday School and aim for 10:30 for choir practice. But we were ready early so we went. His class was a small affair: three of the five participants were choir members. We talked about Jesus walking on water, and the time he calmed the sea. The discussion often turned existential, but the teacher brought it back each time. At 10:30 she dismissed the class and most of them went to choir. I talked to Jaime, the other lady who was not in the choir. Faye came up from her class to join us. Then she and I sat in church. Dad sat with the choir. When they sang the anthem I realized just how different it was from the Youtube versions. Near the end, the Beers family stood up and sang a jazz version of a Christmas song. They were good. Faye noticed that I was standing back from the hymnal in order to see it, so she got a pair of folding glasses from her purse and handed them to me. I used them for the last hymn. Then I had to admit to her that I had glasses in my purse, too. But I was impressed by how small hers folded up to. After the service, I was able to talk to the choir director about ways Dad could hold and turn his music more easily. I talked to several people I haven't seen in a while. One couple was from Texas and driving back next week. I offered them a place to stay for a night on their way back. We got on the subject of GMOs and the man talked about goats that were genetically modified to produce spider silk. After everyone left, Dad and Faye changed clothes and we went to Subway for lunch. I got a salad, but they stopped offering avocado to go with it. The counter lady knew Dad and Faye's order by heart. After we sat down to eat, she came over to tell us she was going on maternity leave for 12 weeks. Then she introduced her 4-year-old. Cute kid. When we finished eating, we went back to the church to get Faye's car and drove to the mall. Dad walked outside while Faye and I walked inside (where it wasn't raining). After 5 ½ laps, we stopped to shop. I got something to wear in Honduras and a stylus for my tablet. At another store I got something for Chris. Then we went to the food court to talk. We decided to exit through one of the department stores. They had a pair of open-toed shoes Dad would like for around the house, but there was no one to wait on us. He and I walked to the car and I drove us home. He fell asleep in the car and I woke him up after I parked. But he made me move the car. Then we had a bite to eat. I checked my e-mail and skyped with Chris. Chris sang to me. After we hung up, Dad told me what a good job Chris did. I sliced my thumb on a lid and put hydrogen peroxide on it. I wanted to clean in the kitchen, but worried about getting dirty water in the cut. I tried to fix Dad's umbrella. It looked fixed when I was done, but might not hold long. Dad found a receipt and we tried to figure out where it was from. I looked up the goats with spider genes. It seems they give milk which has an extra protein in it that can be spun into silk. I picked lint off of blue socks while listening to an audio about the myths of pesticides in our food supply. One myth is that they are tested rigorously. But only the active ingredient is tested, alone, and not in the combination which is applied to crops. Another myth is that if a certain level of pesticide doesn't cause ill effects, then a lower dose won't either. But in parts per trillion some are more dangerous because they mimic hormone levels in the body.
I put my earrings away. I watched Smarter in Seven Minutes until Dad started talking to me. He wanted to write me a check. I finished my video and started an audio on health tips. I cleared some e-mail and did some tapping. My hands ached, so I rolled a tennis ball over the tendons near my elbows and that helped. I also used the ball on my jaw joints to help with the clenching. Then I practiced the trombone before going to bed.
*  I did not take any pictures today (although I wish I had) so here is one from Christmas day.  *

No comments: