Thursday, July 16, 2015

Old friends, new friends

I woke up around 7 and got up when I heard voices. I washed up and got dressed. I went to the commons area and saw Bertha and Rebecca discussing how beautiful Bobby’s quilt was, and it certain was. Of course I always like batik quilts. Cindy rang the breakfast bell at 8 and my phone alarm went off at the same time so I did not hear it but the other ladies did. I put some coconut milk in a prepared breakfast mix and went upstairs to eat. I got some mixed fruit chunks from the buffet and a small amount of hashbrowns, too. I ate outside with most of the others. I did not mind sitting in the sun. After breakfast, I packed my things in the bedroom and then the sewing stuff. Bertha had us sit outside for a group picture, but we were not holding our projects. Joan gave me her address so I could send her the word ‘hexecontahedron’. She wants to see if her grandson knows what it is. I will have to take a picture and send it to her. I thought since checkout was at 10, that is when we would leave, but they were leaving as soon as they packed. Laurie and I took most of my stuff out and then I came back for a small box and my pillow. There was a small ramp up to the door so that a wheeled cart could pass. Well, it wasn’t as wide as the doorway and as I walked out, I stepped off the edge and hit the ground. My foot hurt like hell. I tapped and the pain reduced, but I could not put much weight on the foot. Cindy brought me a bag of ice and Laurie helped me to her car. I rode back with the ice bag on my foot. I hoped it wasn’t broken and figured I would know if it was. When we got to my house, I opened the garage door and Lauri brought my stuff inside. I assured her that I had a walker and would be ok. After she left, I took my laptop and pillow and scooted up the stairs on my butt. I stopped halfway, tired. I cried because I could not water my plants or go to the guild meeting tonight. After a break, I continued my travels. I rested again in the hallway at the top of the stairs. Then I crawled into the dining room and hooked up my laptop which was on the floor. My phone rang. I crawled over to my purse to answer. The moving company wanted to know if they could come over today to deliver Chris’ stuff from Honduras. I was glad I had left the garage door open. I crawled to the computer room to turn on the wifi. I used the office chair to sit and wheel myself around. Rolling in the carpet in the hall was slow. Then in the den, the chair fell over. But in general it was better than crawling, which my left wrist was not happy about. When the men came, they brought the items to the front door so I could check them off, and then put the stuff in the garage. I asked the one nice young man if he would bring up my breakfast box and bring in the mail. And he did, bless him. I got two submissions from Netflix. So I had plenty to watch tonight. Then it hit me that I was not going to be able to go to quilt guild tonight and show off my hexecontahedron. Bummer! I e-mailed Jodi that I could not help her tonight. I also e-mail Jennifer that I could not go to the hydroponic farm tomorrow. I e-mailed Chris too, but he was asleep. I looked at the snail mail. I cleared e-mail with my foot up. I rolled myself to the bathroom but had to hop when I got there. I used the walker to get out. But hopping was still involved so I went back to the office chair. My ice had melted so I went to the freezer for more. But there was none. I could not get the ice maker to turn on. I looked for icecube trays but did not find any. So I put water into two egg cartons and crossed my fingers. I took some meat out of the freezer to thaw. After clearing more e-mail, I stuck my foot in a bag with another bag inside that had a bag of frozen peas in it. This kept it on my foot even when I moved. I peeled myself a hard boiled egg. I ate some of Denise’ sauerkraut. Later I ate a square of chocolate with dates. It was SOOOO good. I rolled out of the den to get my purse so I could access my camera. For some reason, I went to the front door. I hobbled out and sat on the porch looking at the yard. It needed mowing, and there were lots of downed branches. There must have been a storm while I was gone. I tried to image how I could pick them up. When I got tired of that, I came in. I took a pic of the hexecontadedron. I put on an audio and whittled my e-mail down to 79. Then I started the Sudoku puzzle for last weekend. Kurt texted me on Skype. I caught up on all the puzzles. I put beef and bones in the crock pot. Only later did I realize it wasn’t plugged in. I experimented with the walker. I decided that it was good for travel, but when carrying is required, the rolling chair works better. I adjusted the height to as low as it would go. I carefully crept downstairs. I used the suitcase handle to lean on to get to the garage door mechanism to close it. When I came up,I listened to one of the Oprah meditations. About 8:30 I decided to watch one of the two selections from Netflix. But they were both X-Files episodes that were part of the season 7 DVD set that I finished on retreat. I had forgotten to update Netflix. I wondered how I would get to the mailbox tomorrow to send them back. So then I found a movie on Youtube called Fake Wedding. It was kind of cute. Chris skyped in the middle of it. We talked for a bit. He suggested I could hang the walker over my head and slide down the steps on my butt. I figured there had to be a better way. I iced my foot again for the rest of the movie. I put the crock pot on low for the night. Then I went to bed.

No comments: