Sunday, July 19, 2015

Am I smarter than deer?

I woke up early, put on my eye mask and went back to sleep. I got up a little before 8. I turned on the router and laptop. I threw on some clothes and went out to water the plants. Then I checked e-mail. William called to ask about the mower. I read some articles online and iced my foot. He called again. I had to hang up to make breakfast, eat part of it, get dressed and go to church. I talked to a few people on the way in. I told the pastor’s wife that I had her jacket ready. I sat with Don and some visitors in the front pew. After the service, I verified that there was no loose cash in the offering, and we agreed to meet at 2:30 to count. I stood around talking in the vestibule, hoping to ask Margie to walk out to my car to get her jacket, but she was never free so finally I left, and went to Publix for groceries. I thought I had parked close to the building but then all the entrances on that side were roped off because of new concrete. I did a minimum of walking to get what was on the list, but then I remembered to look for moth balls to repel the deer. But they were cedar scented and that did not seem like it would repel deer. So I picked up some cheap dryer sheets to do the job. Then I came home and put the food away, and finished breakfast. Iread e-mail until time to go to count money. William called on the way, asking if I had trouble driving with my foot. It was going ok. I arrived at the church and counted with Art. The addition worked out perfectly the first time. We discussed getting together to get first quarter contributions on the computer. Then I put Margie’s jacket in the church office and went home. As I was passing my tomato plant, I noticed it was wilting. The roots had been pulled up. I guess the deer did it, but the gates were closed while I was gone. I put out dryer sheets on a string. I laid out on another sheet to sunbathe and sweat. I got lots of sweat on the sheet. But as I was wiping the sweat from my head, my earring came off. I found the back but not the pearl part. I searched the sheet and the grass nearby. I gathered up the sheet and brought it inside to shake out over a dark blue curtain. But the pearl did not show up. I poked a hole in the bottom of a plastic water jug. I put some vinegar in it and then water from a bucket. I set it over the tomato that was planted in a cinder block to water it over time. I had put the bunch of hydroponic lettuce in water several days ago, but it was wilting. So I pulled the leaves off to make a salad. I went outside to pick some other greens to go with it. I found a green pepper, too. I ate the salad and worked some puzzles while listening to an audio. Then I went outside to check on the tomato plants and then picked up sticks in the yard. There were quite a few and some large ones, so we must have had a storm. I quit before the job was done to rest my foot. I ordered another part for the lawn mower and added new plastic piece since they get chewed up so quickly. I meditated. Then I was just about to use the vacuum when my phone rang. It was Beverly. She had someone’s sewing machine and their complaint was that it sewed backwards. Beverly wanted me to come over and fix it tomorrow. I suggested she bring it Tuesday when we go to the same group. We discussed it for almost 2 hours. During that time, I walked outside to see if the deer were bothering anything. I had to turn off the AC because it was so cold (79). Then Chris skyped me and I had to hang up with her. His call did not last long, but I did not feel like sweeping anymore. But I did go around a few corners and hit the worst spots. I was going to call Dad, but it was too late even without the time difference. So I posted to my blog. I had put the glow-in-the-dark rice in the fridge to get cold. I poured it in a bag around my foot, gave it a few minutes and went to bed.
* This is the quilt top that Joan was working on during retreat. *

No comments: