Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Another convert

I heard my alarm go off, then stayed in bed for some mental programming. I drank water and swished. I finished cutting the 36” square. I glued my watch band after it fell off and put another watch on. When I tried to check e-mail, the cursor was acting squirrelly and I had to reboot (which is tough when you can't get the cursor to go where you want). I worked on decluttering my sewing room. I got out Nela’s machine and tried it out. I ended up tweaking the bobbin tension to make balanced stitches. But there was nothing I could do about the really loud hum when stepping on the pedal. I ate a few seed crackers to tide me over.
So Young called to say she needed to be signed in at the gate. I was about to leave for QOV anyway, so I walked down there and signed her and her friend onto base. Thankfully they did not have to leave early from QOV. Jackie finished her bag from last week. She was so happy that she wanted to do the baby quilt that I advertised for the sewing class. Suzanne cut squares to make a pillow. So Young brought a cushion cover and some fabric to copy the cushion cover. It had a zipper with a flange that covered it. I could not remember how to do that. But I helped her measure and cut rectangles of appropriate size. It was very difficult because she had stretched the fabric so much when she ironed it. She brought zipper tape and some pulls. At first her seam allowance was too narrow to add the zipper so I sewed in a larger seam. Then I showed her how to pin and sew the zipper. But the flange got caught in it. By then it was time to pack up. Lucky for us, no one was using the room later, so we consolidated stuff but left the machines set up. Suzanne drove us to the gate. I signed the ladies off post. Jackie had to leave, but So Young came with us to the five-day market. So Young took us to a hole-in-the-wall restaurant there for lunch. We had kimbap and two kinds of soup. It was good and we had a nice chat. Then we went to the place where the guy was selling a sewing machine last week. He had two more this week. One was almost identical to the previous one, but it was clean. I used my little kit to put it through its paces. Everything worked but the light bulb. And eventually he got it to work. Then we found out that he wanted twice as much for it. We walked away. We looked at clothing, and honey and blackberries. Suzanne got a deal on two trays of raspberries and some blackberries. She gave me the blackberries. I bought some roasted beans that she said was a snack. So Young left to walk home. Suzanne took me back to post. I sat and snacked while catching up on e-mail. I had to force myself to put the beans down. I planted the basil someone gave me a while back that rooted in a glass of water. Then I got busy packing up Nela’s machine and clearing my sewing room and working table. I also worked on the dining room table and desk. Then I put Nela’s machine in the car. I drove to the chapel, which they left open for us. I turned on the lights and …there wasn’t much setup to do. At 6:30 I was alone, so I decided to do QOV stuff. But then Princess arrived. She was so excited to learn to sew. The CYP keeps her working during the hours of both the class and QOV, but she had tonight off. So she agreed to work on the baby blanket. I showed her how to make it. She wanted to use the pieces I had cut for the demonstration which worked well for me. I cut one corner and let her cut the rest. I sewed one corner and let her sew the rest. Then we nestled the center and pinned it. With a little help and lots of hints, she got it all sewed in. I'd never seen someone so happy to sew. Nela finished the bag she had been working on. Suzanne sewed her squares together while her daughter cut paper into a thousand pieces. At 8:30 we packed up. I gave Nela a ride home. Chris and I watched several episodes of The IT Crowd. Then he went to bed and I stayed up to write my blog from scratch – no time for notes today.

No comments: