Saturday, June 4, 2016

The Fabric from Heck

I got up to shut off the alarm at 7:30. I went back to bed to do some mental programming, shutting the door so I would not hear Chris in the dining room. But he came back to get dressed or something and I decided to just get going on the day. I sat in my sewing room to make a list of things I wanted to do today. I drank a quart of lemon water and checked e-mail.
I punched holes in the soles, then laced my Xero sandals. I walked the trail, stopping at the exercise stations to work my arms. Bugs were constantly in my face and I looked forward to getting the bug racquet in the mail. Although I felt a few drops on my walk, I watered the plants closest to the house and the two next door when I got back. I did the weekend puzzle. I looked for neat things to do with PVC pipe. Chris got a phone call and had to go to work. I made and ate breakfast. Chris came home. He started the laundry and then we drove to the commissary. There we were, with a car and plenty of parking, but there was nothing at the case lot sale that we wanted. We looked around. Chris talked to someone from church. We went home. I read e-mail and got it down to 60 unread, which is pretty good. Then I decided to make a sample for the class I intend to teach Wednesday night. So I got out all my soft cuddle fabrics. I measured each one and wrote the numbers down. I chose the two I wanted to use. I went to Missouri Star Quilt Company on Youtube to re-watch the tutorial on the self-binding baby blanket. She said it was quick and easy and it certainly looked that way. But it took me over an hour just to cut a square of fabric 36 by 36 and one that was 30 by 30. The fabric was so cantankerous that it did not follow the folding rules. I folded it in half one way and in half the other way. The angle at the fold HAD to be 90, right? Nope. How does this happen?! ‘We’ were not amused. Finally I made a pattern from packing paper and just cut around it. It still did not turn out perfectly. The cutting out part was not covered in the tutorial. Ok, so then I timed myself cutting off the corners of the bigger square and sewing them shut. No problem. Laying the 30” square inside was ok, too. I pinned along all four sides, but it was a little wonky. Then I took it to my sewing machine to zigzag all around. The top fabric wanted to stretch forward something fierce. I kept pushing it back with a pin, but wondered if beginners could do it well enough. I left a part unsewn for a demonstration. Then I took a pic for posting. I went back to my laptop to get the link. I ended up on Pinterest looking at a tutorial for turning a crew neck shirt into a v-neck shirt, reusing the neck band. I made a note of that one. We watched an old Sherlock Holmes DVD. I found it very hard to make out the dialogue, so I missed a lot. But we sat and cuddled for over an hour. That was nice. Then I checked e-mail one last time to delete the latest round. I drank ginger tea with a detox powder in it. And now I am headed for bed.

No comments: