Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Big day at the fabric market

Last night, I collected the recyclables and put them by the door. Then I went to bed.
I woke up early, but it was only 6:20. I had been having a dream about going on the fabric trip and forgetting to bring extra money. So I put money in my wallet and went back to bed. I tried to sleep, but my internal temperature control was waxing hot and cold. I was thinking to get up to shower when my alarm went off. But Chris got in ahead of me. So I waited. And waited. Finally I was able to get in. After my shower, I got dressed. I put snacks and some coconut water in my market bag.
I took my market bag, duffle bag, and rolling cart outside to meet Dynee. I saw that the birds had ripped apart one of the recycle bags. I gathered up all the paper and shoved it between two other bags. Dynee came out and we got in her car. She drove us to the commissary, where the bus was waiting for us. We found seats and then Myra did a head count to make sure everyone was there. Then the bus pulled out. When it went out the front gate, it stopped again to pick up two more people.
It was an easy, if long, ride to Daegu. I sat with Terri who was drinking a cup of watermelon juice. We exchanged health care tips and talked to Nicky, who has been in Korea less than a week. God bless her for coming along. I ate some of my snacks.
When we got to the market, the driver stopped at the back rather than the front. But that was good because the restrooms are closer to the back. And that was our first stop as a group. Then we headed up to the third floor.
There were too many of us to all shop at the same place. So I went to the stall where the man makes paper patterns. He wasn't there, but So Young borrowed my phone and called the number posted on the stall. Then she told me he would be there in five or ten minutes. As I waited, I picked through the fabrics at a nearby stall. When the man arrived, I went over to talk to him. He handed me a pen to draw with. I sketched a dress front and back, like one would see on a pattern packet. So Young helped me translate again. He gave me a price and I paid him. He measured me and wrote down stuff in Korean. Then I decided to ask for a cowl neck pattern with sleeves that were one piece with the front. I paid for that, too and he double-checked the sleeve length and bottom edge. Then he told me to come back in an hour. So Young's phone had died, so I gave her the phone charger battery and cord that I keep in my bag. She was so happy and promised to return it.
I finished shopping at the nearby stall and wandered around the perimeter of the floor, looking for a stall I had seen last time. But I came all the way back around without finding it. I called Lacee but she didn't answer. So I called Myra. I found her on the fourth floor with Lacee. I started looking at the fabric, but the lady was tied up filling Lacee's order. So I left my cart there and went to see the pattern man. He showed me the patterns he had made. The cowl neck was not what I expected. It had pleats at the shoulders. He indicated how I should sew it together. So Young was nearby so she helped translate again. He marked the dress pattern for me as well. I asked about zipper length and he made a mark on the paper and labeled it. So Young wrote next to it 'end' to make sure I knew what it meant.
I went back to where my cart was. Myra was shopping by herself. We picked out some things. The lady let me go inside the booth and examine fabric I couldn't see very well from the aisle. I picked out some more and paid for it. My rolling cart was full so I put it in the duffel bag. Lacee had given me the numbers for two $2 a yard places on the third floor so I went back to find them. She was there and ordering a yard of almost everything (it seemed). I spied a few colors myself and got some of the same pieces. After she left, the next stall caught my eye and I got a couple pieces there. Then I found her again upstairs. That lady had cheap remnants and some Hawaiian floral on rolls. Lacee took a pic of it with her phone and ran it through the oneblockwonder software. When we saw what it would look like cut up in hexagons, I ordered two yards. It came in blue as well as orange, but the effect was better in orange.
When we left there it was after 2. We took the elevator to the basement where the food was. But we went to the juicing stand and got watermelon juice. We had to wait for it, and when it came it was mostly ice. But it was good and we enjoyed it. I ate more of my snacks. I called Myra to see where they were. Then we stopped by the restroom, and more of our group showed up. From there we went to the first floor entrance. The rest of our group joined us. I looked at some of the fruit vendors outside. The cherries looked good, but I did not want to pay $10 for a bowl. Lacee and Eileen got some interesting sandwich at the next place. I followed in the wake of the rest of the group and found them at the street corner waiting to cross. Then our bus showed up, so we crossed. I was afraid Lacee and Eileen wouldn't make it but we only waited a second or two. Then we were on our way home.
This time we were crammed in with all our fabric, though not everyone bought as much as Lacee and I did. Terri and I talked all the way back. Some people slept on and off. About 4:45 we arrived at the front gate. The two off-base people got off there. The guard checked the passes of everyone else. Then the undercarriage was inspected for … contraband? Explosives? Idk.
The bus continued on to the commissary and let us all off. We unloaded our fabric bundles. Dynee had bought an entire roll of decorator fabric. She put it in the back of her car. Lacee and Terri and I got in with her. She drove to Lacee's house first and dropped her off. Dynee noted a Yard of the Month sign in the yard across the street. Then she took Terri home, keeping an eye out for Yard of the Month in upper housing. And then she parked in front of her house. We unloaded the car. She let her little dog out to potty. Then she spotted the sign in my side yard. I did a happy dance. We retired to our respective homes.
Once inside, I dropped the bags of fabric and headed to the kitchen for some chicken and onions. I ate an apple, too and some nuts and apricots. I tried to read e-mail, but my laptop would not connect to Yahoo. But the desktop had no problem. I plugged in my phone battery charger. Chris came home from work just as I started an audio. When it was over, I went outside to water the plants. I picked some lettuce and ate it. Then I rebooted my laptop. It took so long that I went back to working on the bag.
I made the handles to match the ones I did last time. I suspect there was an easier way to get the strapping inside. I pinned the handles in place between the inside and outside layers and sewed. Then I understitched it. Next, I pinned the outside to outside and lining to lining, leaving a space at the bottom of the lining. I sewed around, twice on the outside part. With difficulty, I turned it inside out. The stabilizer on the bottom part was too stiff. By then it was after nine. So I put it up for the night and came out to watch TV with Chris. We saw one episode of Miss Fisher. My laptop still would not connect to Yahoo Mail, so Chris sat and played with it. What worked for him was signing out of Yahoo and signing back in; something I rarely do because it usually leads to an infinite loop. My guess is they fixed the loop and created a different problem, but only for Windows 10.
Anyway, so then it was time to blog and go to bed.

No comments: