Friday, June 23, 2017

Taking care of business

I had lots of hot flashes last night and did not sleep well. I decided it was because of all the spicy food for lunch.
In the morning, I heard my alarm go off but did not want to get up. Chris kissed me jut before he left for work to make sure I was awake. So it was almost 8 when I got up.
I went into the shower to collect some filtered water. There was a centipede on the tile and I washed it to the drain.
Then I drank some water and ate some nuts. I dustmopped the floor in case there were other centipedes around. I washed up and got dressed nicely. I read some of my e-mail. I could not find my phone. I headed for the theater. I thought Myra would be there ahead of me, but she wasn't, and I sat with Christine. We had a little chat about kids serving lemonade for the open base event. Myra came a little later.
The three of us sat together and listened as the schedule for the next 8 weeks was read. I did not see the sewing class on any of the schedules. But no one has seemed to mind bumping our class whenever they want. And those who come know it is still going on. The chaplain made a plug for the FRG saying there were lots of pregnant women on post and the FRG was needed to throw them baby showers. At the end of the meeting, the CO presented me with the award for Yard of the Month. Someone took our picture.
Afterward, I headed out with Myra. We walked to Security to turn in her ID. Then I followed her as she talked to some people. We headed back up the hill. We chatted a bit in her parking lot. Chelsea wasn't home, so we walked over to Lacee's house and handed her the MWR bucks that came with Yard of the Month award. I asked her to give it to Chelsea next time she saw her. The MWR bucks are good for childcare and I figured with a new baby, Chelsea could use it more than we could. Then Myra and I went home separately.
I changed my clothes. I swept the kitchen floor and filled a bucket with hot water and soap. I mopped the kitchen and parts of the utility room. I left the mop and water there so I could do the hallway after lunch. Chris came home and made his lunch. The floor had just dried. I ate something too. I texted Myra to see if it was ok for me to drop off some empty water bottles and she said yes. I was going to go, but noticed my feet got wet when I walked through the utility room. The bucket of dirty water had overturned and I hadn't noticed. What a mess. I mopped up what I could, then got an old towel for the rest. I dried off the water bottles and threw them into the hallway until I was finished. I went outside to pull some weeds that had been bothering me for days. I had never seen them before but they had long roots like they'd been growing for years.
Anyway, then I walked to Myra's house with three gallon-size water bottles. We had a long chat about how to dress the table at the open base event, and maybe a few other things. Then her husband called, so I rode with her to the commissary and she continued on to Security to pick him up. I was going to buy lemonade mix and bigger cups. But I was stunned to discover that a canister of lemonade mix cost $3 and only made two gallons. And the cups came in 9oz and 16oz sizes. The 9 oz seemed too small and the 16 too big. So I left empty handed. It was too cold to think in there.
When I got home, I realized that I'd meant to go to the third floor (above the commissary) and rent a table and chairs. I did not feel like braving the heat again so soon, so I ate some watermelon and drank the rest of my water. I checked e-mail too. Then I walked back to the FFTC.
My rental transaction came at just the right time. They were training new people to run the desk and needed something other than selling movie tickets. I filled out a form to rent one table, 4 chairs, and a 10-gallon dispensing cooler. They looked up the answers to all of my questions and allowed me to get the cooler a day early so I could wash it. I was given a receipt to show on Friday to pick it up.
Then I went home. I watered all my flowers. Ryan came home from work and took the dog for a walk. I watered Dynee's flowers while he was gone. I even watered their herbs out back.
When I came in, Chris was home from work. I made and ate a cucumber salad. I also mixed up a batch of seed crackers and put them in the oven. I checked my e-mail. I looked up craft projects for next week.
At 8, Chris left his laptop, made a bowl of popcorn and called up Netflix on the tiny laptop. We watched Miss Fisher solve murders. Chris' laptop registered a skype call. But by the time he silenced the TV, the caller hung up. He tried calling back, but the lady at that number said she didn't call. He kind of fumed about the caller not leaving a message. I took my seed crackers out of the oven and put them away. Then the skype call came through again. I listened as a man asked him if he could be interviewed on Monday at 3. When Chris hung up, I asked if it was the job in Germany and he said no, it was for the DGC in Belgium. I needed a moment to let that sink in. Chris did not sound enthused but maybe he didn't want to get his hopes too high.
We finished the episode and he went back to his laptop. I of course sat down to type up my blog.
* This is a pic I took of the drink mix display to remind me that we could mix the Countrytime lemonade with the cheaper raspberry tea mix for a raspberry lemonade. *

No comments: