Friday, June 16, 2017

Shopping and planting and skyping

After drinking a whole beer last night, I hoped the hot flashes would subside. And I guess they did, long enough for me to get to sleep. But later they all came back and woke me up.
I got up around 8. I got dressed and had a bite to eat and some water. I watered the plants because I forgot yesterday. I was ready for my skype call at 9. It went for two hours but I felt like we made real progress.
Then I started making breakfast. Myra called to see if I wanted to help her get pinestraw. I promised to call back after breakfast. I read e-mail while I ate. Then I called her. She came up the trail toward my house and I went outside with the rake. We met on the trail and walked to just past the exercise station. We took a breather there. Then we proceeded to the top of the hill and took another break. Further down the path we found fallen pine needles that weren't pulverized. I raked and she stuffed them in bags she had brought. Then we walked down the street from the water tower and came out behind my house, hoping there was more pinestraw there. I left my rake by the shed and carried one of her bags to her house. We left them by the shed and went up to her place for cold water. She also changed her clothes. She had to take her husband somewhere but decided we could make a quick trip to the market beforehand.
So we headed out. We saw the new executive director waiting for a cab and spoke to him until the cab arrived. We wished him a good trip.
Then we walked to the plant place on the canal, but didn't see anything she wanted. Then we went to the plant place across from Daiso, but again, nothing she wanted. We went into Daiso to see if they had plastic tablecloths. We saw Dynee in there and greeted her warmly. She wanted to know why we hadn't invited her. I did not know how to answer that. She left quickly. Myra shopped for potting soil and I looked at tablecloths, but they weren't the right color. She also wanted tomato plants, so we went to another plant place around the corner from Daiso. The tomato plants looked really good, with nice, thick stems. I was tempted to get some myself, but I resisted. Then we went to another corner plant place. I bought some pepper plants. She got peppers and some more tomato plants. Then we stopped in the junk store for tablecloths, but they were not the right color either.
We windowshopped as we headed home. I walked with her all the way to the quad. She showed me where excess marigolds were coming up in the grass. So I pulled some of them for my flowerbed. She helped me. Then I went up the steps and headed uphill to home. I needed a break from the heat so I drank water and read e-mail. I laid down, listening to a video. Sleep would have been welcome, but it did not quite come. I got up to have a bite to eat. Then I went outside to plant all those little marigolds across the left flower bed. At the end of the bed were lots of little four o-clock seedlings. I uprooted a bunch of them and put them in the right flower bed. The remaining marigolds got planted in the big planter tub to replace the pansies when they die. I also filled the water jugs.
I took another break, opening all the bags of fabric from Wednesday. I located the purple piece that Christine requested. I headed to the CYP to give it to her. On the way, So Young called to say the machine I sold her was not working. I made a few suggestions, then said she could bring it on Sunday and I would look at it after church.
When I got to the CYP, I gave the fabric to Christine. She was happy with it. She paid me a little more than it cost. We talked about the kids making lemonade for the Open Base event, and their helping to sell it. We also talked about me reading to the kids on Tuesday and doing a craft with them.
While I was talking to her, Housing called. They asked me to come to Community Round up on Friday so they could award Yard of the Month. I agreed.
When I got home, I pulled out my paints and the dried potato chunks. I painted four or five of them to make a sample necklace for the kids' project. Christine had given me some beads to add as well. But I left the chunks to dry and never got back to them. I made myself a cucumber salad and ate it in the kitchen.
Then I sat on the floor in the entryway and cut corners off the yards of fabric, sorting them by light and dark. I finished just as Chris pulled up Miss Fisher on the TV. We watched three episodes. I thought I had another Skype call at 10:30 but there were no messages so I waited until the third episode ended to send her a message. She called me shortly after. We talked for some time, but the upshot was that she had to take the summer off because the kids were out of school. We agreed to try a new concept: tapping statements with friends. If I send her a synopsis of a problem, she would respond with a few tapping statements whenever she gets a chance. And vice-versa.
After the call, I wrote my blog post while Chris played his computer game. And then it was time to go to bed.
* I didn't take any pics today, so here is one Anna took last night. *

No comments: