Monday, June 26, 2017

The party store


I slept fairly well, waking to the sound of my alarm. My mind was ready to go back to sleep, so I did. It was almost 9 when I got up, feeling well-rested.
I had my usual coffee morning. It seemed rushed because I knew Myra was waiting for me to call so we could walk out in town. But I found a deep-seated issue to work on so I did a little extra tapping.
I called Myra and she was cleaning her utility room after the drain backed up. Yuck. So she needed some extra time to finish. Chris came home for lunch while I was cleaning the kitchen. I had a bite to eat. Then Myra called to say she was ready. So I cut a sliver off my green silk from China and I put on my shoes and walked to her parking lot.
On our way to Office Depot, we passed a place that had been closed for 6 months or more. But it was open today so we stopped in. It seemed to be a second hand shop, but they also had packages of food and supplements. We just looked around, then proceeded on to Office Depot.
We looked for cups and tablecloths and pinwheels for next Saturday and yarn and tackle boxes for her husband. I bought a long pipe cleaner and a glue pen and some yellow paper to try pinwheels with. They had cups but not the size I wanted, and no tablecloths.
Then we went to pay her internet bill. We had to take a number and wait. There was a TV screen showing men playing some kind of card game with pictures of fruit on the cards.
Nina from MWR called to say she'd heard of a party store. She gave me the verbal directions given to her. Myra thought she knew where that was. A few minutes later, Nina called again to say she was e-mailing a pic of the map from their website.
Then we went to the junk store. Not finding anything there, we went to the fabric booth and I bought a green zipper to go with the silk. Then we went to another junk store. She got feathers there. Daiso was around the corner so we checked their inventory. No cups in the right size. But I got sticks that hold up balloons and a 10 pack of clear plastic tablecloths. As we left Daiso, I discovered they had free wi-fi. I connected with my phone and brought up the pic of the map. My phone was dying so I plugged it into the spare battery. The map showed the party store as being on the road to Lotte Mart. So we headed down the street to follow the verbal directions: turned left at the hospital, the store will be on the right before a pedestrian bridge.
We turned at a hospital and walked, and walked. No pedestrian bridge. We crossed to another street. More walking. We turned to follow what seemed to be the road to Lotte Mart, but turned out not to be. We were lost. I stopped to ask an old woman for directions. I knew how to ask where the bathroom was so I substituted the store for the bathroom. Not surprisingly, I did not understand her answer. But she seemed to be telling us to cross the railroad track, so we did. Then we could see the road to Lotte Mart. We walked along it until we saw a pedestrian bridge. So we turned right, looking for a store. We walked down, left, up, right, up and left. Had we just continued past the pedestrian bridge, we would have found it much earlier. I was exhausted. We walked around the small store. There were balloons and helium, costumes, banners, a few decorations. Myra liked the yellow balloons with white dots. I got three since they were 70 cents each. Helium was 1.50 so I skipped that, knowing the balloons would be flat long before Saturday.
From there, we headed to the 5-day market street. We walked down it, heading for Home Plus. I stopped to buy a roll of kimbap. I finished it just before we got to the main door.
We went to the third floor to search. She did not like the tackle boxes. They did have balloons, but I didn't think I needed more than the three I had. No feathers. On the second floor were paper cups, but too expensive. I did buy a coconut, and that resulted in lots of change. I got lots of change today, which I figure will come in handy on Saturday.
We walked across the street and caught the bus. It took us to the front gate of the base. We walked up the hill to her house. She gave me some leftover bulgogi she had. I took it home. Chris put steak in the oven when he saw me. I sat down to rest my feet and read e-mail. When the steak was ready, I took half a piece and several spoonfuls of the peppers and onions. After eating that, I went outside to water the plants. It had rained this morning, but not that much. Still, they did not need as much water as usual. I also did some trimming of the petunias, pansies and geraniums and Dynee's roses.
When I came in, I ate the other half of the steak. I put the other steaks away and the peppers and onions. I cleaned up the pans. Then I made a cucumber salad.
I checked Netflix for something to watch. Nothing seemed interesting, but Bloodline seemed to be the least objectionable. So I mentioned it to Chris and he was willing to try it. We watched two episodes. It was just ok, mildly interesting but bad language. I told him I would look for something else tomorrow.
He went back to playing his game and I recharged the spare battery and typed up my blog post for the day.

No comments: