Sunday, June 18, 2017

How in the world did that happen?

I slept ok last night except for a pesky mosquito. The cucumber seemed to lessen the severity of the hot flashes.
I planned to get up when Chris went to church, but he didn't. When I got up, he was still here. He asked me if I wanted to call my dad. He used Skype to call the mobile number. At first it was almost impossible to talk to my dad. He couldn't understand a word we said. But then he asked if he should put on his hearing aids. (Hmmm. Let me think...) It went much better after that. He told us he was staying up late trying to eat enough calories. He was planning to get implants to hold his dentures in place.
After that, we called Chris' dad. We had a nice chat with both his parents. Al said he had implants and highly recommended them.
Then I took a shower and put on a nice pair of pants and top. I wore my purple jade earrings. While waiting for the church service to begin, I started a loaf of bread for Chris in the bread machine, and I ate some seed crackers.
Then I sat on the couch to watch the service on Facebook. It got off to a rough start, but after that, it was ok. I sang the songs. I couldn't hear Connie give the intro to Communion or the announcements after the service. But the guest pastor was very easy to hear, and very animated, too.
When it was over, I drove to the chapel and parked by the school. I went inside and found So Young. She assembled the sewing machine in the small classroom. Then she had to practice, so I took the machine apart to find out why it would not do a full rotation any more. But it wasn't the thread, or the needle. I took off part of the housing around the light. Aubry came in and just stared at me. I asked her what she was holding but she didn't answer and soon left. Ms. Pae and Ms. Sung and Ms. Kim all stopped in to say hello. Then Suzanne came in and sat with me. We had a nice chat. I called out to Connie to tell him I could not hear him on Facebook and he said he did not wear a mike because he thought the Facebook feed wasn't working. So Young came back and said they had to be off base by noon. So I told her to leave the machine with me and pick it up on Wednesday at class. I stayed a little longer, but then the chapel needed to close up so I packed up and left.
I wheeled the machine to the car and drove home. I brought it inside the house. I called Myra and explained the problem: the take-up lever was not attached. She said she'd come over. While I waited, I watched sewing machine repair videos. Kim called from the commissary to say that I won the raffle yesterday and to pick a prize. I chose the beef gift card. Then I fiddled with the take-up lever and got it reattached, but it still would not rotate.
Myra arrived. She took the machine apart more than I ever had. I brought her tools and the tiny flashlight on the phone battery charger. Handy little thing. It took a long time and a lot of head scratching, but we finally figured out where it was hitting. It was a little circle around a piston that had rotated out of position. She pushed it back and tightened the set screw. Then we reassembled the machine. (phew) We threaded it and it stitched but the tension was off. For some reason the bobbin thread unwound fine from the case when it wasn't in the machine, but would get very tight was it was inside the machine. ??? We both wondered what she had done to the machine to cause all these problems.
Dynee texted that she wanted to go for a walk. Myra wanted to along until she heard about the steps. Then she decided to go to the pool with her husband.
After Myra left, I ate a few nuts, changed my clothes and put on my shoes. I met Dynee outside. We headed to the Chinhae tower, talking. She said she had been to the five-day market this morning to get dried fruit. I said I needed some, too, so we walked there instead. It was a three mile walk and she walked fast. The market was crowded when we got there. I filled up a basket with dried fruit, and some nuts and went to check out. The man said 21, but when I handed him that much, he indicated 12. It was a good deal. I bought cucumbers from a nearby vendor. I snacked on the way back to base. After going through the front gate, we sat at the bench near the MWR office. My feet were sore and my back hurt. Dynee texted her husband to come get us with the car. I was relived to not have to walk up the hill after walking 6 miles.
It was a good ride home. I laid on the couch. Chris said supper would be ready soon. I got up to check on the sewing machine tension issue. Then Chris said bok choy was ready. I filled a bowl with chicken, bok choy, and carrots, onion and cabbage from under the chicken. Then I cut up a big cucumber and drizzled it with oil and vinegar and Italian spices.
After eating, I went outside to water the plants. When I came in, Chris had finished eating. He put away the chicken and bok choy. We got out the watermelon and sliced off the top. He ate some but I ate most of the slice. Then we sat on the couch to watch two episodes of Miss Fisher. Afterward, Chris went back to his computer game and I wrote up my blog post for the day.

No comments: