Sunday, December 24, 2017

Church, church and more church

I woke up in the dark because my back tooth ached. I was afraid it was cracked. I tried so hard to relax and go back to sleep. It took a long time and I wanted to sleep in, but did not have the time.
I got up at 8:15. My tooth was better, though not 100%. I drank some water. I played a few notes on each instrument and then packed them in their cases. Then I took a shower. I got dressed while Chris took his shower. We carried the trombone and flute and trombone stand out to the car. Chris drove us to church.
When we got to the church, we carried the instruments to a corner near the organ. Then we got bulletins and sat in our pew. It was one service at 9:30 instead of an 8 and a 10:45. So there should have been extra people there, but it did not seem that way.
It was a fourth Sunday of Advent service with the lighting of the 4 candles.
After the service, I practiced the flute and trombone with the organist. Both pieces went well. I left the instruments in a warm corner. Then I collected Chris and we went home.
I made and ate breakfast while Chris did laundry. I checked e-mail and deleted most of it. I worked on the purse for Michele. I got the outside sewn together and started work on the black trim. Chris put on clean pants (he got some black marks on the previous pair). Then he went to the 5pm mass at the Catholic chapel. I made a bowl of onion soup with the last of the pulled pork. I posted a Christmas message to my Facebook page. I dressed in a sparkly top with extra wide sleeves and a dark blue skirt. I got my choir music from the car and practiced it. I waited until 6 but Chris did not return. So I hopped in my car and went to church.
I was there by 6:20 to rehearse with the choir. I was the only alto. I breathed into the flute and trombone to warm them up. Then I sat in the front pew. About 6:45 Chris came and sat with me. The church was filling up. Two girls went up to the piano to play their pieces. Then it was my turn. I put the hymnal on the music stand and stood ready with my flute until the organist played an introduction. Then I played two verses of Let all Mortal Flesh keep Silence. Maybe I should have kept silence 'cause I messed up the last phrase on both verses.
I handed the flute to Chris and picked up the trombone. The organist played an intro and we did two verses of Oh Little Town of Bethlehem. It was ok but not great. Then I sat and breathed a sigh as the organist continued with pre-service music. The church was beautifully decorated. The chrismon trees, the poinsettias, the white flower arrangements, the candles – so pretty.
So the service began. It included communion and everything. The choir sang and did well. The pastor read the Christmas story to the kids. Then he gave a sermon. It went pretty long. Finally, we passed candlelight around the sanctuary until every one had a lit candle. The we sang Silent Night and the service ended.
Our choir director had asked Melody to take her place 'cause she went out of town. I happened to know that Melody and her husband both play trombone. So I asked if we could play together sometime and she asked me for my number. Then I packed up my instruments. Chris took them to his car and went home. I stayed behind to pass out some lip balms. Scott invited us to lunch tomorrow but I declined because we are baking a ham. Then I had to hurry back before the gate closed.
I wanted to take the route over the steep hill to view the city lights but it took longer that way. As it was, I went through the gate at 8:54.
Chris was on his laptop. I changed my clothes and put the instruments in the closet. I made a mug of hot bone broth. We watched two episodes of Voyager. Chris put clean sheets on the bed while I typed up my blog post. Then I joined him for a good night's sleep.
* Sadly I did not get a pic of the church. But I did manage to get this pic while driving by. Every time we pass it, it reminds me of a certain spaceship... *

No comments: