Friday, March 16, 2018

A Wrinkle in Time

Chris got up at 5:30 and left at 6:30 for Saint Louis, to attend a gaming convention with Michele. I got up at 7:45. I took an orphan block from the MQG apart and cut triangles from the corners so I could re-do the block. It had more problems than I thought. I turned on the router. My laptop was already on for some reason. A pop-up told me to contact Microsoft because my computer could not install important updates. I tried to resolve the problem. I can download updates, but they won't install.
I read e-mail. I learned that avocados have more potassium than bananas per volume. Since they have less sugar, I think I'll switch. I also learned that silver hydrosol is good for getting rid of bacteria in the mouth. He also recommended an oral irrigator device for gum pockets.
While listening, I made a batch of seed crackers. I also made and ate breakfast. I was still listening when I realized it was 11:59. I jumped up and threw on some clothes. Then I grabbed my purse and a wrap. I drove to the movie theater where Leanne was waiting for me. We went inside and bought tickets at the snack counter. I swear she and I were both told it was $12.50, but we were charged $7 something, plus tax. Anyway, we found the right room and went inside, where we got seats that were the perfect distance from the screen. Somehow the conversation turned to blood sugar and she offered to test mine. She had her glucometer with her. So, ok. But I was surprised when it came out to 121. She said that was good, but the ER didn't think so when I tested at 103 that morning.
After innumerable ads, and coming attractions, the movie “A Wrinkle in Time” started. If I read the book, it was so long ago that I just don't remember. The name Charles Wallace seemed familiar but the rest of it did not. I wondered how much of it was in the book and how much was added by Hollywood. It was interesting, but required just a little more willing suspension of disbelief than I could muster.
From the theater, I went to the fish market for a piece of wild salmon. I asked the owner if it was from Alaska. The question seemed to upset her. She wanted to know why I would ask her that. She said everybody knows it is so she doesn't need to put it on the sign. I paid for it and headed home. But on the way, I remembered that Chris was gone, so it was up to me to check the post office box. I found a few pieces of mail and a two small packages. When I got home, I wrapped the fish in newspaper and put it in the freezer. I ate some seed cracker and the rest of the previous fish.
Then I dressed in yoga pants and a black and white top. I pulled my yoga mat from the closet and put it in a blue handbag along with a towel. I walked to the Housing center for a pound and stretch class. I met a lady in the parking lot and we went in together. I had heard the class was full, but there were only six of us.
We spread our mats on the floor. The instructor gave us each a pair of green drum sticks. Then she showed us a few drumming moves and turned on the music. It was an aerobic workout and heavy on the thighs. I decided that I did not want to be sore tomorrow so I took it easy. After 45 minutes of the pound routine, another lady took over for a yoga/pilates workout. It was like yoga to sultry nightclub music. It was also hard on the thighs. My back wasn't happy either. I gave up on keeping up, but the pain only got worse. I tried to hide it. But when the music stopped, I could not get up. The instructors lifted me up and took me to a settee. The pilates lady went back to the class while the other one talked to me, offering to call my husband, and then to drive me home. One of the men gave me his cell phone number so I could call if I needed help tomorrow. When the class was over, the lady I had met in the parking lot walked home with me. We shared some stories and I offered to teach her daughter to sew.
When she had gone, I went inside. I checked e-mail. I wanted to have a bowl of onion soup but the pot was too heavy for me to take out of the fridge, so I made a big salad instead, and then had some cheese. Then I sat on the couch with my heating pad and flipped through the TV channels, getting glimpses of old shows like Murphy Brown, Andy Griffith, CSI, etc. Chris and Michele called around 9:30. We talked for a bit, then they hung up. I read synopses of A Wrinkle in Time. They sounded like the movie Then I wrote up my blog and did a meditation to put me in the mood to sleep.
* A random quilt from the last MQG meeting. *

No comments: