Saturday, October 6, 2018

Record number of yard sales

I got up soon after my alarm went off. I brushed and swished. I sewed one pair of patches. I took a shower. Chris got in with me. But I stayed away from him because he washed with commercial shampoo. After dressing, I started packing my travel bag. I found things to go in the toiletries bag and some for the food box, which meant I needed a bigger one. So I traded up. I filled bottles with filtered water. I made tea. I added coconut milk to my breakfast and ate it while deleting e-mail. I put the carrot tops in a bag so they wouldn't dry out. I also put the sprouts in a bag on the back porch and watered the pepper which is growing in a coconut shell.
Chris plugged in his phone so the GPS could guide us. We drove West. We stopped for a potty break. Eventually we arrived at Tishamingo State Park in Mississippi. We had to pay $4 admission at the guard shack.
We looked for welcome center, but did not find one. We parked on a side road near a small building with restrooms. From there we could see a bridge, so we walked down the road until it wound around and came back by the bridge. We walked out on the bridge and looked at ducks and an egret. I took pics. When we got back to the car, we drove further down the main road. We stopped at a building large enough to be a welcome center, but it was a meeting hall currently occupied by the Jackson family reunion. Then we found the nature center. But the building looked old and it was locked and there was no indication of hours of operation.
So then, we headed back toward the entrance. Chris pulled over when he saw a sign with a walking figure on it. It was a trail. We walked up to where it split. We turned left and walked for a while. We spied what looked like a fern family reunion. Ha, ha.
The trail showed no sign of turning in a circle. Eventually we just retraced our steps. This time we tried the trail to the right. It took us over a bridge, and around in a circle back to the bridge. So we headed back to the road. We saw an old cabin and took pics. Then we returned to the car.
We drove past the guard shack and put the pass in a marked box. Looking back, I could see the word “Open” on the front door of what we thought was just a guard shack. So Chris backed up to a place he could park. I went inside. Two men were sitting there. One gave me a map of the park, and a flyer for a float trip. He said there was an opening for tomorrow. I took the flyer to Chris and explained that we could take a trip where they would drop us off in a canoe and we would float back to … some starting point. Chris was not enamored of the idea. So we just left the park and followed the GPS towards Fulton.
On the way, we passed a ton of yard sales. I have never seen so many yard sales in my life. Chris didn't offer to stop so finally I asked him to. He did, but he wasn't happy about it. I got out and looked at tables of stuff on both sides of the street. Then I found him lying on the grass not too far from the car, practically asleep. I nudged him and we continued on our way. I did not ask to stop again, but wondered if this was some special weekend.
When we got to the hotel, I asked the clerk, and she said it was all part of the 50 mile yard sale and that some of their guests were here just for that. We asked about local places to eat.
We checked in, collected our luggage and went up to our room. I wanted to walk to the nearby grocery store and look for pickled garlic. Chris had other ideas. And after a nap, we got dressed. I put on a nice blue outfit. We walked to the grocery store and looked, but did not find pickled garlic. Next to the store, was a sushi restaurant. We went inside and got a table. I got an Alaska roll and a seaweed salad. Chris got the hibachi chicken. When we were done eating, we went back to the hotel.
Chris signed on to the internet but it was really slow. I ate an orange, then signed on to the net. I tried to listen to a podcast, but only got a few seconds at a time. Chris watched Bourne Identity on TV. I had a headphone on one ear so I could hear the podcast whenever it played. The other ear listened to the TV. When the show was over, some Tom Cruise movie came on. I left the podcast to load into the buffer and I sat on the bed with Chris. We watched the movie together. But when it was over and I went back to the laptop, the podcast hadn't loaded and I still could only get a few seconds of the interview at a time. I brushed my teeth and swished. I turned off the water to the toilet because it was refilling every 15-20 minutes. I downloaded the pics of the day. I typed up my blog post. Then I got ready for bed.
* Looks like the Flintstones left their picnic table here. *

No comments: