Sunday, October 7, 2018

The Neon Pig

Last night we had to turn the AC off because the unit was too loud. We also had to turn off the water to the toilet because it kept refilling every 20 minutes or so. I also had to throw some clothes up against the curtain to block light from coming in underneath. Chris went to bed and I stayed up to blog. It was almost midnight when I got to bed.
I woke up when Chris got up. Not sure what time it was, but after my alarm. He got dressed and went down to breakfast. I made and ate breakfast in the room. I washed up and got dressed. I accessed the interview from the night before and it played as it should. At least for awhile. Chris came back from breakfast, and tried his email. Then he went to the front desk to report the wi-fi problems and the toilet. When he got back, my interview stopped. I was able to read e-mail but anything with pictures or video was a no-go.
Finally we took our food bag and headed out. We drove to Tombigbee State Park. It was clearly better funded than Tishomingo State Park. And I told the ranger so when we paid admission. She said it was thanks to donations from Toyota of Tupelo. She gave us a map, though it was not complete. We drove where she said to go, but ended up going too far and in the middle of a bike race. We turned around and went back. Chris parked by the restrooms and used it while I sat in the car. Then he drove to the entrance to a trail. I strapped on my fanny pack and we walked the trail around the lake. For part of the way we could hear a Sunday morning service at one of the campsites. We watched fish in the lake. We saw deer cross the path ahead of us. Chris pointed out a pawpaw tree. We saw tiny mushrooms growing here and there. And there were disc golf stations all along the route. But we didn't see anyone playing golf in the woods. Initially my legs hurt from yesterday, but it got better.
When we were done walking, we went to eat at the Neon Pig. It was a restaurant/bar/canned food place. We got a smash burger and a pork belly something. We each had half. They were both very very good. I even ate the bun since it was homemade. The couple next to us loved what they got, too. And we got into a conversation with them. We never did get their names, but they were lots of fun to talk to.
Then we went back to Fulton. This time we went to the Jaime Whitten Center. We drove around looking for a trail and found only lots of campsites. When we found the center, it was 3:30 and they were closing at 4. So we chatted with the ladies at the desk. Then we read the captions under pics on the wall. And finally we headed out before they locked us in.
We went back to our hotel. Chris got ideas, and then we fell asleep. When we got up, it was time for supper. So I dressed for dinner and he put his t-shirt and jeans back on. We walked to a nearby Mexican restaurant for supper. I ordered the chili and salad and took two enzyme supplements. He got the pollo loco, and spoke Spanish to the waiter. The food was very good. I could not finish the salad, so Chris put it in a box along with the extra corn chips. Then we walked back to the hotel.
Chris had trouble getting on the internet so he flipped through the TV channels and started watching a movie called Geostorm. I was trying to get on, too, and ended up watching with him. When it was over, he went to sleep. I brushed and swished. I threaded a needle and sewed a few stitches in Jane's quilt. Then I tried to blog, but the password failed. I woke up Chris and he said to call the front desk. So I dialed 0 and let it ring until it stopped ringing. I guess there's a limit? Then I noticed a button on the phone marked Front Desk. I hit that and let it ring until it stopped ringing. Still no answer. I called the hotel's local number from my phone and let it ring until it stopped ringing. Finally I called the 1-800 number. Even getting to a person that way took a while. She said she would connect me to the local number. That took longer. But finally, a lady answered with no explanation. She said they change their password every Sunday and she gave me the new one. I was so agitated.
I typed in the new password to connect. It was still very slow. I downloaded pics from my phone and typed up my blog post. I let the room get cold before I shut off the AC. Then I turned off the water to the toilet and went to bed.
* This sandwich was advertised as being voted the best sandwich in America. *

No comments: