Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Election Day

The sleep app sounded at 7:05. I think I was already awake. I got up to get my glasses and see how much snoring it recorded. I boiled water for tea and nuts. Then I brushed and swished. I put maroon thread on the machine and pinned the project to paper. I satin-stitched the maroon strip to the banner. I pinned the join between the brown and the maroon and laid the fish on top to see how much it would cover.
Then I turned on the router and used my phone to track when the router was fully functional so I could turn on my laptop. If I turn on the laptop before the router is finished booting up, it usually won't find the signal.
I drank lemon water and read e-mail. I separated the recyclables and took them out to the curb. The weather was nice, which made me wonder. How is it that our society has all these weather-detection devices, and decades of weather records on which to model their predictions, but they can't accurately predict what will happen in the next 12 hours? Schools opened 2 hours late today and quilting was canceled. But the weather is currently dry and comfortable.
I looked up a sample ballot, then the people running. There were so many that I couldn't remember what I read about each of them. I listened to interviews on foraging, and downloaded an app for identifying plants. It was somewhat helpful, but I had to give it access to media on my phone. I heated up the last of the beef heart stew. I also finished off the sprouts and started a new batch.
It was a sunny day, so I swept wood chips from the sidewalk back into the flower beds. When I got the text from Beverly, I headed to the church where the quilters usually meet. Beverly met me there and we walked over a mile in the neighborhood. We stopped to dig up two baby climatis' growing by the side of the road. She took one and I took the other. When I got home, I planted it in a pot. Then I got stuff I needed and went to my church.
I got there just after 1 as the secretary was leaving. She moved stuff out of the intern's office so I could count the money, then she left. I pulled all the envelops and loose checks from the safe. I put them in order by member number. I had to look up the numbers for those who did not use their assigned envelops. Since there were lots of checks for the pastor's retirement party, I had a lot of looking to do. When that was done and the deposits were ready for the bank, I typed the info into the computer. Well, it argued with one of the member numbers I put in. I had to work around that. I printed reports and fixed something I screwed up last week. Then I was off to the bank.
I had come in early so I could leave early to vote with Chris, but as luck would have it, the process took an hour longer. So it was after 3:30 that I made the deposit. The teller told me she had voted already and that in Sweden they voted by text and got almost 100% turnout.
When I got home, Chris was changing his clothes. He programmed the route to the voting hall in his phone. He handed me papers which included a sample ballot and off we went.
Traffic was a little heavy. I read the referendums that he printed off. When we got there, it seemed parking was full. So we drove around until a spot opened. Then we went inside. We went to one table where the lady checked our names off a list and gave us each a slip of paper. We took the slips to another table where we were given ballots. (So the first table couldn't hand out ballots?) All the carels were full, but there were also tables with people sitting around them, marking their votes. Since I didn't care if anyone copied my answers, I sat at a table and made choices by muscle-testing. Chris finished first, submitted his ballot and waited outside. When I was done, I did the same. We walked back to the car with our “I voted” stickers.
When we got home, I made a salad and ate it. I thought Chris was going to cook steak, but he decided to do it tomorrow instead. So I ate some cheese for protein. And I pounded some holes in a coconut. I tried to pour the water out but nothing came out. I shook it and didn't hear anything so I assumed there was no water. I put it in two plastic bags and swung it at the pavement in back of the house until it cracked. Suddenly I was getting wet. I let the water flow into my hand and I drank it, then caught some more. When the flow stopped, I took the coconut inside. I had Chris pry it open for me and I ate all the meat inside while listening to an audio.
Then I tidied up a bit, especially my sewing table. I laid out the banner with a sample border. Chris cued up Netflix, so I brushed my teeth and got my tea from the kitchen. We watched two episodes of DS9. The second one wove the DS9 crew in with the original Enterprise crew in a time warp. I couldn't believe that they brought back tribbles.
Chris made his sandwich and went to bed. I stayed up to blog.
* Dinah and her quilt from yesterday. *

No comments: