Saturday, November 10, 2018

Fabric, fabric, everywhere

I turned over and the app sounded, figuring I was awake. I stayed in bed for a few minutes, then got up. I brushed and swished and sewed the center seam on the patch quilt. I boiled water for tea and nuts. I drank water while reading e-mail. I watched the next episode of Transcendence and rubbed the spot formerly known as a mole with onion. I figured since the Korean doctor gave me the onions that she couldn't argue with it.
To find fulfillment, ask yourself three questions: what experiences do I want in my life, how do I want to grow, and how do I want to contribute?

I made seed crackers and hummus. I put some seed crackers in a bag to share. My sewing stuff was already in the trunk from yesterday. I reviewed the route to Holmes United Methodist in my mind: straight on Holmes until it becomes one-way and I have to turn. I go one block to the right, three blocks up, and one block to the left, then onto the church. Well, I kept looking for the intersection where I have to turn. And it never happened. Suddenly I was at the church. I guess they took out the one-way section. But, all the traffic lights were timed in the other direction, so I had to wait a full light cycle at each intersection. Grr.
I wheeled my sewing cart to the church and inside to a table. Ladies were already eating. I put out a plate of seed crackers with the rest of the food. I got myself a bowl of chili and small salad. I ate while talking to Betty and the others. When they went back to sewing, I turned in the red-white-blue and scrap quilt top. Lynette wanted me to make a backing for it. She pointed out a bolt of fabric. So I cut off a piece of the right size, folded it in with the top and put it on a stack.
Then it was time to pick a new project. Half of the fellowship hall was filled with tubs of fabric. Lynette introduced me to the fabricmeister. She showed me some sets of orphan blocks and I picked several. I searched for fabric that would go with them and settled at my machine. There were 7 disappearing 4-patch blocks. I had never made one before, but it should have been simple. I measured the big squares: 3”. I measured the small squares: 1.75” So I cut my blocks at 4.75”. I made a four-patch and cut 3” off of each side, and sewed the pieces back together in a different arrangement. But my block was half an inch smaller than the others. I took one block apart but only gained a quarter of an inch. So I sashed the two green blocks I made and sewed them in with the others. I bordered it until Lynette said it was big enough. By then almost everyone else had left. I pieced fabric until I had a backing for it, then folded them together and added it to the stack. I left my machine set up for tomorrow, as many ladies did. I picked up my crackers and went home.
When I got home, I checked the mail. The door was open and the box was empty. Hmm.
I met Chris inside. He hadn't checked the mail. But he had a box for me from the post office.
I made a salad and later had some dates. I read e-mail until 7:30 or so. Then I listened to a paraliminal. When it was over, I auditioned some borders for the quilt of squares until Chris was ready to watch TV.
We watched two episodes of DS9. I was so tired that I went straight to bed. I thought I would get up later to finish my blog, but that didn't happen.

No comments: