Thursday, November 1, 2018

The cure is worse than the condition

Chris got up at 4 and went to the airport. I went back to sleep. I turned off the alarm at 7:30 and went back to sleep, sort of. I got up at 8. It was raining so the house seemed depressing. I brushed and swished. I wanted to sew a gathering stitch on a strip of fabric. But I could not find a needle. So I opened up my tomato pincushion. It was not in good shape and I wished I could locate the newer one. But I found 55 needles inside. I started a running stitch, then decided it would be easier by machine.
I turned on the router. I put the finger lights back in the box. Only 34 were given out and several kids took more than one. So we had 29 kids. I guess Wednesday night is a bad night for trick-or-treating.
I boiled water to soak nuts and make tea. I moved my laptop to where Chris normally sits because it is farther from the router. I watched the first episode of Transcendence:

Passing a sugar tax has worked to reduce obesity in several places. The wheat of today is not like the wheat of 40 years ago. It's been genetically modified in ways that focused on production and ignored health effects. Today's farm animals are different metabolically and nutritionally from the wild animals we used to eat.

Then I watched the last video in the herbal series. Cold and flu recovery process: take it easy, less exercise, recover for as many days as the fever lasted. Eat easy to digest foods. Take hot showers, wash sheets, and open windows. To help with lung health: astragulus and cordyceps are adaptogens, also reishi, iceland moss and mullein. Dandelion root makes a good tea.

I made and ate breakfast. At noon, as I was rushing to get ready for quilting, my phone rang. It said Christopher Damour, but Michele was on. They were standing in line to get their gaming badges. I talked to her for a bit, then they hung up. I looked around for a project to take. I grabbed a bag of strips. Then I went quilting.
It was potluck day but I was late enough that it didn't matter. I talked with both Pats. Then I got to work. I sewed light strips end to end and dark strips end to end. Then I sewed the long strips together. The other ladies were gone by 2:30 and Christy wanted to pack up, so we did.
I went home. I parked in Chris' spot so I could sweep all the wood shavings from the driveway back into the flower bed where they belong. I put a rolled up newspaper under the downspout to direct water past the flowerbed. I ate a bowl of beef heart soup and read e-mail.
I went to the Korean clinic, arriving just before 3:30. He and I sat by his laptop. When the call came, I answered my phone. The technician asked us to login to the account and give him access to the screen. Well, we did not know the password, so we spent half of our time trying to get in. But it went quickly after that. The man explained how to use the site to file insurance claims. Still, we went over the half hour allotted. Then he had to go.
Then I tried to sign the doctor up for Medicare billing. I clicked links, read info I didn't understand and called the number. She gave me instructions for which forms to use and where to find them, but when I went there, I could not find what she said. I did a google search and got to the right place. The doctor and I started filling out forms, but some of the questions had dropdown menus and none of the options applied.
Finally, Dr. Grace told us to stop for the day. She took me to one of the treatment rooms and had me lay on the table. She put a paper towel with a hole in it over my mole. Then she lit a small stick until it glowed with heat. She repeatedly jabbed at the mole. Yes, it hurt. She said one of her patients slept through his procedure.
When the jabbing and burning were done, she got a piece of 'putty' and put it over the mole site. She jabbed it with the burning stick, too. Then she told me not to get it wet or put a bandaid over it. Or eat chicken. She said it would fall off in 3 or 4 days. And she gave me a bag of onions. I asked for a mirror to see it and was astonished how big it was.
It was raining, so he got an umbrella and walked me to my car.
When I got home, I made and ate a salad. I had just finished it when my tapping buddy called. I spent two hours talking and tapping with her. She recommended John Newton's ancestral clearings. Then I finished the audio I was listening to. Then I called up Netflix. I watched two episodes of Frazier. I wrote my blog post after that and went to bed, hoping not to roll over on the putty-covered spot. I think it's giving me a headache.
* The mole is gone, but she put an herbal bandage over it. She says there will be no scarring. *

No comments: