Monday, November 19, 2018

The new kid on the block

My sleep app rang at 6:30. I tried to go back to sleep, but then the phone alarm rang at 7:30. We got up and folded the bed back into a couch. Dad was moving around so I checked on him. I looked at the list of things to be done while we were here.
I looked up the indoor-outdoor thermometer and read about how to change the batteries so that the indoor unit would recognize the outdoor unit. Chris and I did that, and then it worked, except for the time. But there is a clock right above it, so that wasn't critical.
I tried to get Dad's printer to print copies of his master grocery list. But each time the paper jammed. He said he'd had it for 30 years and did not want to throw it away and thought he could get someone to fix it. Chris said it would cost more to fix than to buy another because printers are so much cheaper now.
I suggested we put the list on a thumb drive and take it to an office store to print. It was made in XL so Chris worked to get in into OpenOffice format.
I was supposed to drive Dad to Staples to get copies of his master grocery list. But the driver's seat would not move forward so I could reach the pedals. So Dad drove and we agreed not to tell Chris. When we got there, we went to the copier department. The lady told us it would be cheaper to do it ourselves at the up-front copier. But then someone else needed it because the other one wasn't working, so she did it for us in the back. She did not find it easy, but it would have been impossible if the file was still in XL. Dad asked for 10 copies, which she made. I paid for them, and then we checked out planners. But he did not see one he liked. Then we looked at printers. I knew nothing except what Chris told me: Dad had a parallel printer cable and there was nothing like that anymore. A clerk came along, and steered us to HP printers. She recommended a printer/copier/fax/scanner that used a special ink that was cheaper than toner and made more copies. It was on sale, so we got that plus paper, a USB cord, and an ink cartridge.
My phone died at the store just after calling Chris to make sure we got the right thing. A male clerk took the printer out to the car for us. He said it was heavy. Faye was sitting in front of the house in her car when we got home. She got the printer out of the trunk with no trouble and took it in the house. Chris lifted the old printer and took it to the living room so Faye could set up the new printer. Faye and I read the directions and install the ink. Then we came to the online part where we download the correct driver to whatever computer Dad will use with the printer. His laptop was the obvious choice. But the screen that came up was confusing to us, so we tabled the issue.
Faye and I went to Joanns. I was going to give her my birthday/Christmas list (which was written on the back of an envelop), but I brought the wrong envelop. So we went together. She bought sewing stuff that I picked out for my birthday. Then we had to leave so she could get to Kevin's doctor appointment.
I helped Dad create a grocery list from the master list, and mark which items were found at Fresh Market. Chris took pity on me and took Dad to Fresh Market. I went through the food in the fridge and threw some out, plus lots of empty bags and packages. Then I wiped it as best I could with the remaining food still in there. I wished I had more time. I started one of Deepak's meditations. But then Dad and Chris came home. They were only gone an hour.
I heated a can of coconut milk in a pan of water on the stove. I wanted to shake it up, but it was too solid. However, I forgot all about it after turning the heat on.
I found a drawer full of tea towels, not in mint condition, but pretty good and many of them were already hanging towels. I showed them to Dad. He was pleased to see them. He wanted them to go in a bag. So I shoved them into the nearest empty bag. But he didn't like that one. He looked around until he found a Redwing bag with an old shirt and another hanging towel in it. So I put them in that bag and put the old shirt on the scrap pile.
I gave Dad some jujube juice to drink. I rescued my can of coconut milk from the hot water. I opened the can and poured some in the jar of fermented milk, and left the rest to cool. I worked on replacing the towel part of one of the hanging towels. I typed up my blog post while Dad made up his pill container for the week. He had trouble telling the difference between Primidone and aspirin. I checked behind him and found that one day had two of the pink pills and another day had a primidone but wasn't supposed to. Also, the Tuesday slot was empty. He said it was a non-existent day. I asked if that was a good idea and he said he'd think about it. I asked if he should have someone check his pills every week. He said this was the first time he made a mistake. Somehow I doubt that.
I finished my blog post and prepared for bed.

No comments: