Monday, March 25, 2019

Stuck between the vertical and the horizontal

During the night I had to use the bathroom again. This time I remembered that we had a few Depends left over from my mother. So I used one, but still needed a towel. And we found out that a chuck that has been washed is no longer waterproof.
Chris went back to sleep on the couch. I tried to go to sleep, wondering why the meds were not making me sleepy. All too soon it seemed Chris was moving around and getting ready for work. He came in to check on me, making sure I could reach my phone. He said he'd be back at lunchtime unless I called. He brought me water and another dose of something. Then he left.
I tried to go back to sleep. My alarm went off and surprised me. Eventually I had to go pee again. I tried to sit up. But then I couldn't stand up. And I couldn't lay down. I was stuck. But by moving around to loosen up the muscles, I finally got vertical. Walking did not go so well at first, but I made it to the bathroom. Then I went to the kitchen to take supplements and boil water, all very slowly. I called Chris to tell him he didn't need to come home for lunch, but he said he would anyway. I deleted e-mails a few at a time because sitting was uncomfortable. I could do some things standing up. I listened to a podcast on depression. The speaker said that it has to do with unreasonable expectations. (I expect my back to work properly as long as I don't do anything that might injure it. Is that unreasonable?)
I played a meditation by Deepak, sitting with a sock of cold rice on my back. But when he got to the mantra part, Chris came in the door. I paused it till things got quiet again. Chris made his lunch. Then he put the sheets and mattress cover in the washer before eating lunch. I made and ate breakfast. When Chris left, I put the meditation back on, but I had to use headphones because of the sound of the washer. When the washer was finished, I carefully pulled the laundry out and shoved it in the dryer with my knee. I did a lot of walking with the rolling walker while listening to a podcast. I sat down with a heating pad. I read a few more pages in Elaine's book. I got very sleepy. But I was afraid of dozing off and having my head fall forward which would yank on my back. I did not want to lay down because getting up was so tricky. So I took the walker to the bedroom and piled it with pillows. Then I leaned forward against it to sleep.
But I heard the text sound on my phone, so I got up again. I answered it and went back. But it happened again. So I relocated the walker and pillows to the livingroom. I tried to fall asleep, but someone knocked on the door. He said he was from maintenance, but I have never seen him or his uniform before. He wanted to fix the leak, but I said it was fixed already. So he left, and I went back to the pillows. But then he knocked again. He wanted to come in and take a pic of the leak (of which there was nothing to see). There were other guys outside in similar uniforms. My neighbor texted me that she was going for a walk. So I stood up to get ready and Chris came home. I went next door and waited while she put a harness on her dog. Then we took a slow walk around. When we got back, the guys were still around. I went in her house to see some reciprocating device for sore muscles. But it looked too strong for the sensitive muscles in my back. Then we stood and talked for a bit, until my phone rang. I left so she could get ready. I talked to William for awhile, finding out about Dad. After the call, I made and ate a salad. I read e-mail. Jennifer texted me, she wants me to play flute on Palm Sunday. I called Dad. I practiced my trombone. Then I jotted notes for my blog and took the meds again.
We sat on the couch and watched one episode of ST:NG. Chris was too tired to watch a second one. He put clean sheets on the bed. I posted to my blog so I could join him. I hoped my back would be in better shape by tomorrow.
* This is a bush I saw on my walk yesterday. *

No comments: