Sunday, December 1, 2019

At least he got lots of sleep

After I finished writing my blog post last night, the washer finished. So I threw the clothes in the dryer and went to bed.
I got up about 7 local time. I ran the dryer again because the clothes weren't quite dry. Then I took a shower. I got dressed. I found some matching thread and sewed down the placket in one of Dad's shirts. Then I cut up a lemon and made lemon water. I put some chicken in a jar for lunch. I grabbed two bananas and some blueberries and strawberries, and Dad's clean clothes.
Then I went to the hospital. I got there about 10:30. Dad was sitting in a chair and had finished breakfast. I talked to Faye who was not ready to go. And just after 11:30, lunch arrived. The male nurse came in to set him up for lunch. I suggested he eat in the diningroom. So Jeremy helped Dad use the walker while Faye followed with the wheelchair and I carried the tray. Dad walked most of the way, then sat in the chair and got wheeled in. Dad sat in front of the tray and Faye sat beside him. I went back to the room because our purses were there. I ate the chicken in the jar and two strawberries. I started reading the book on handling estates.
Faye and Dad returned from lunch. Dad was put in bed to rest. His cath was still in place. Faye left to run errands. Dad fell asleep. I deleted e-mail with my phone. I texted Kurt and Faye. I read. I fell asleep too, for awhile. After several hours, Dad woke up. He was not totally with it. Supper arrived early but he was not hungry. In fact, he was having trouble with his bowels. So I called the nurse, who came, took him to the bathroom and cleaned him up, then put him back in bed. Jeremy went to find a clean gown.
Dad still wasn't interested in eating, so I ate most of his meal: chicken, green beans and broccoli and cauliflower. We watched the news, then turned to the classical music channel. I offered him some strawberries and he accepted two of them. He also ate the half a banana from breakfast. Then he closed his eyes. I think he slept a little. I went to the nurse's station to get a gown, and I put it on Dad. I read for awhile. Then the nurse Jeremy came back with nurse Anne who was taking his place for the night. He gave her the low down on Dad, then they left.
I talked to Dad as we listened to classical music. He wanted to practice standing up, but he could not manage to sit up. Then I called Anne who had to change Dad because the cath had slipped off. She said she was coming back with another cath, but I did not see her for another hour. Dad was wet so I tried to change him, but failed, so I called for help. A different nurse came and started the process before Anne came back. Anne fixed the catheter and Dad relaxed in bed. She also gave Dad his evening meds, probably before she went looking for the cath.
Then Faye came in, a little after 10. Dad let her have his dentures to clean. She also took his hearing aids. We talked until Darleen arrived. Then Faye started explaining to her all the things she should tell the aids tomorrow morning. I said goodbye to Dad and told him I would be back for Christmas. I bid farewell to Faye and Darleen. Then I went back to the house.
Dad had 29 messages on his machine so I listened to all of them. The only one that counted was the one about his prescriptions. Faye had wanted me to flake the leftover chicken and freeze it. The chicken was not well done, so it was hard to flake, and took some time. Then I sat down to quickly write my blog post and get some sleep.

No comments: