Sunday, March 15, 2020

Aloe there!

I went to bed last night but I could not sleep. I thought the trouble was my back. But in the wee hours I realized it was RLS. I had taken a tablespoon of magnesium citrate before bed and that should have been plenty. But I didn't know what else to do. So I got up and took some magnesium bisglycinate. When I laid down again, my legs were more comfortable and eventually I slept.
I awoke Sunday morning with no desire to get up. I was tired and it was raining hard. Part of me hoped church would be canceled – as some other churches were. But I got up at 8, showered and got dressed in pants. I played my trombone, and checked a bit of e-mail, then ducked out into the rain.
I drove to church thinking it was a miserable day. I left my umbrella at the front door of the church. Passing through the foyer, I saw the bulletins set out where each person could pick up their own. When I got to my pew, there was a jar of soup from Jennifer. But choir was starting, even though there were only 5 of us. I grabbed my music and put on my glasses. But walking to the front, one lens fell out because the screw was missing. Jennifer lent me her glasses. We sang through two pieces. Jennifer said I did well, singing harmony when everyone else was singing melody. Then others helped me look for the screw. It was not to be found.
Our interim pastor was there, but a lady bishop from the synod was there to give the sermon. The offering plates were on small tables by the communion rail so people could drop in their contribution on the way to communion. Also, we were instructed not to shake hands, but to share the peace by voice and body language. We had at least two people from churches that were closed, but it was still low attendance. The president of the council said that for now, services were still in order, including the Wednesday night ones.
After the service, I picked up the plates and took the money to the safe. Lars showed me where he keeps the brown envelopes. Although the bishop was staying to talk to the congregation in the fellowship hall, I felt a tickle in my throat and decided not to stay. I took my umbrella and went home. I was not sure I should go to the grocery store, but didn't think Chris could get what I wanted if alternate choices needed to be made. So I changed shoes and we went together.
The store had plenty of most foods. But not so much oatmeal. We got bananas and corned beef, and greens. I wanted an aloe branch but they were gone. I did not get pico de gallo because it goes bad so quickly. We checked out and went home. Chris put up the refrigerated items while I washed the cans and packages. He put pork in the oven and eggs on to boil. Then I made and ate breakfast.
I put on a podcast and did some sewing. My neighbor came over with cans and bags of beans that she didn't want. I asked if she had any extra aloe plants because the one she gave me died of neglect. (I didn't mention that part.) She said she had plenty and a big one that she didn't know what to do with because she wanted the pot for something else. I was happy to have it and immediately emptied a pot to receive it. I told her she was the best neighbor in the world.
About half an hour later, I invited her to go for a walk. And so we did, for about 30 minutes. When we got back, we talked in the driveway for awhile. Then we parted. I asked Chris about the conditions an aloe needs and he said indoors with sun. So I cleared a spot for it in the kitchen window. Then I went back to my podcast and did more sewing. I took a break when I heard Chris in the kitchen checking on the pork. There was a pot of rice as well. I had some of both, and poured some of Jennifer's coconut curry soup over it. It was delicious! I also had some of Chris' coconut curry soup and added hot water to it to warm it up a little. I was going to eat the last egg, but when I peeled it, it was bad.
I went back to sewing. Sometime after 8 Chris left his laptop and brushed his teeth. I took it as a sign that we were about to watch TV. I made some magnesium and vitamin water. I sipped it as we watched two episodes of Call the Midwife. Then he made his lunch and went to bed. I stayed up to blog.

No comments: