Sunday, March 1, 2020

Artichokes and salsa?

I woke up before the alarm went off. I stayed in bed a bit, but then got up. I showered, then turned on the box fan to dry the shower area. I took supplements, and listened to a presentation from the tapping summit. While listening, I sewed something on the stripe project.
At 9 I drove to church. I practiced with the choir, then gave Jennifer the present which was a set of magnetic hand towels. I wrote my monthly check and put it in an envelop. I talked to Don L. Don C showed up just as the service was starting. He sat with me.
There were a few temple talks before the service. The sermon was about Luther's small catechism. We sang, then shook hands with everyone. Then the offering plate came around. I could not find my envelop. After the service, I got the offering plates and took them in the back. I rummaged through the envelopes until I saw mine. I put them all in a folder and dropped it in the safe. Then I went to tell Tim I had put the offering away. We got to talking about something else, then I left.
When I got home, I made breakfast, and finished the tapping presentation while eating. I put my sewing machine in the car, and went to Renegades. They were just finishing lunch. I set up at a table. I found some black and added a strip across the top of the stripe project, then I put some blue stripes down each side. I cut a long piece for the backing and folded it with the top, then put it in a pile for quilting.
I didn't want to start another project so I asked if anyone needed help. Laura accepted. So I cut some strips for her and did a little sewing until my thread ran out. Then I subcut stripsets until the rest packed up. I packed my stuff and moved it out of the room. Then I got out the vacuum and swept the room. Then the ladies helped me move my stuff and like four bags of wool to my car. I bid them goodbye and went home.
I finished listening to the other presentations from the summit. I went over to Stacey's house. She and I went for a walk around the circle. Someone had put out stuff they didn't want and she picked up a colander that was speaking to me. We dropped it off at my house then walked behind Housing where some flowers were coming up. She said they were irises and pulled one up and handed it to me. I found a discarded 6-pack and put the iris in there. Then we walked back to her house.
We sat at her kitchen table and talked while her husband made supper. Just as he was pulling stuff off the grill, I remembered that my doors were open to let fresh air in. I ran home, shut the doors and turned the heat back on. I also took my supper supplements and picked up my phone and purse.
When I got back to her house, the table was set. There was a bowl of mashed jicama, two foil-wrapped artichokes, a beet, and a container of steak. The steak was melt-in-your-mouth good! I ate it while watching them unwrap an artichoke and strip the leaves off one at a time. They discovered that the leaves can be used to dip out salsa- a perfect substitute for corn chips! The jicama was great, too. I had several helpings. And we tried it with the steak—mmm. And with honey and cinnamon. Not bad. Then I unwrapped the other artichoke and ate the bit off the leaves, then pulled out the fuzzy part to expose the heart. It was very good. But not as impressive as the steak and the jicama (which had garlic and cream cheese in it).
She and I sat and talked while he watched TV. At 8:40 I got up to go. She packed the leftovers for me. Then they invited me to see the rest of the Extreme Makeover show he was watching. So I did. Then I thanked them and went home.
I put the food in the fridge. I checked my phone. There was a message from Lars. He said my check was made out to Advent Lutheran and there was a $5 bill with it. I surmised that Don had put the cash in my envelop before putting it in the offering plate. I called Chris, then put on Royal Pains. As it played, I suddenly remembered buying a dozen eggs from Tina and wondered where they were. I checked the back seat of my car, found the eggs and put them in the fridge. Then I finished watching the episode.
Afterward, I took supplements, wrote my blog post, then got ready for bed.
* Surprisingly, artichokes don't have much taste. *

No comments: