Tuesday, June 9, 2020

The very good, very bad day

I had trouble sleeping early this morning because I kept alternating between too hot and too cold. So finally I got up. Chris told me it was only 7. I started my supplement routine. I checked e-mail. I spent some time watching a rabbit that came right up on to our back porch. For a moment I wondered if he was going to ring the doorbell and ask for carrots! But no, there was a dead petunia in a stack of pots by the door and he really wanted that. So I went out front and raised up all my live petunias in case he got the idea to go after them.
As soon as I finished the 4th supplement step, I went to the church on Jordan. The quilt group was sitting there on widely spaced chairs. I set up my chair on top of the steps. We took turns showing off what we had done. I finished the binding on the quilt. I took pics of the show-and-tells. Anita had a fun quiz for us and we all chatted. After most ladies had gone, I talked to Beverly. We said we could go walking together sometime.
But I had to cut it short, to get ready for church. I went back to base, and got stopped by the guard. She said my ID had expired 4 days ago. She confiscated it, and insisted I leave the base. I was really upset because I hadn't had breakfast and I needed to pee. I called Chris and he said to meet him at the visitor center. I got lost several times, so Chris was there before I was. There was no line and we walked right in. Wearing a facemask was compulsory, but the man let me take it off before snapping my new picture. Chris combed my hair as my request. Then the man made my new pass. We left with the new pass and got home with no trouble.
Chris said he got orders and will be leaving for Utah on the 21st. He talked to Transportation and they said there was an opening the first week of July. Chris said we could look for a date close to the end of July and then drive up to VA for beach week, but it meant adding two more days to the drive to Utah. I cried, thinking of all the long days of driving and leaving my friends. Then I made and ate breakfast, and started a video of a third interview with the Google whistle blower.
At 2 I gathered my stuff and went to church. I entered the offering data on the computer. I printed the reports. I wrote a check and left it in the safe for next week. Then I went into the sanctuary and practiced the songs for Sunday the 21st. I decided not to do the alto parts. Jennifer left me some stalks of mint in her office. I picked up the mint and left her some masks. Afterward, I called Bertha to see if she wanted me to visit.
I went to Bertha's house. We had a nice chat and she showed me her dragonfly quilt. She also gave me a bag of books on CD. I had left the mint in my car with the windows down so it wouldn't get too hot. But the rain hit hard and suddenly, so I rushed out to roll up the windows. Bertha and I visited some more, and the sun came out. Finally, I had to end our visit so I could take the offering to the bank.
I deposited the offering in the drive-thru at the bank. I asked if the local branch was open again, but they said no. I went home. As I went through the gate, the same guard checked my pass critically. I assured her it was a new card.
When I got to the house, I resumed watching the video. I made a salad for supper. The heart was gone, but the sauce was tasty on rice. I ate the last of the seed crackers and an egg. Somehow the grass was dry, so I mowed some of it, then had to plug in the battery. I clipped grass along the fence with hand shears. I raked up the clippings, then went back inside. I went through a few more e-mails and posted the pics I took at the meeting this morning.
When Chris turned on the TV, I went to the kitchen to make my drink. I also used the nasal spray. Then we sat down to watch two episodes of Legends. Afterward, he got ready to go to work tomorrow, and I stayed up to blog and get ready for bed.
* The rabbit who came to dinner *

No comments: