Saturday, July 11, 2020

Half way there

I woke up early. I finally got up to pee and put on vitamin patches, then tried to go back to sleep. At 7:30 we got up for good. I brushed my teeth and started the breakfast routine. I washed up and got dressed while he went down and got a bagged breakfast, and brought up the dolly. I emptied water from one cooler and replaced with ice. Chris did the heavier cooler. I ate breakfast, and kimchi, and some soggy strawberries. Then I packed my suitcase and jotted notes for my blog. Checking e-mail, I read about dangers of wearing a mask.
As we checked out, I told the clerk that our room wasn't totally clean. There were crumbs on the desk and hair stuck to the wall. We left the hotel, stopped at a gas station and got on the road by 9:30. We drove 460+ miles all told. We listened to a different book on CD, and got to the middle of disc 5. We stopped at a rest area that had an automatic handwashing station. You just hold your hands in the right place and soap comes out, then warm water. Finally your hands are air-dried. It was interesting. I walked around the rest area to stretch my legs before we continued on our trip.
We passed through Paducah, but he didn't stop. We passed quilt shops along the way, but he didn't stop. I pulled out duck eggs, seed crackers and a square of chocolate when I got hungry. I also had a banana that he brought me from the hotel breakfast.
We had considered stopping in Lincoln Nebraska, but because I was ok, we went on to York, arriving between 3:30 and 4. I stayed in the car while he went in to get us a room. Then he parked the car in the lot and brought out a dolly for us to load our baggage and heat-sensitive items. When we got to the room, I put stuff in the fridge, noting that it wasn't very cold. I ate the mushy not-so-frozen strawberries. I went out to the car to give the plants a little water. I was afraid they would be hot in the car, but it wasn't so bad.
I went back to the room to get ice for the coolers. When I opened the ice bucket, there was a half empty bag of some snack. Chris said I should tell the clerk so I walked up to the front desk and waited my turn. Finally he asked me what I wanted. I showed him the bucket with bag inside. He apologized and promised to tell the cleaning staff. He took out the bag and handed back the bucket. Since the ice wasn't for consumption, I took it back. I also asked to sign up for the pool. The clerk handed me the pool key, which was an electronic card, saying only the person who has it can get in. I wasn't quite ready to swim, but decided to go ahead. I stopped to fill the ice bucket. I drained the water from the small cooler and poured ice inside. I asked Chris to do the larger one. Then I changed into my suit and put my clothes on over it. I went to the pool, which was conveniently right across the hall. I figured I didn't need to watch my stuff so I put my key cards down on a table and got a towel from the stack. I walked down the steps into the pool. The water was so warm that it didn't feel like a pool. I swam back and forth. I noticed a sign on the wall that said there was no life guard so do not swim alone. Ha! Then I just floated in the silence. The water in my ears kept me from hearing a man and his two little boys come in. When I stood up, there they were. The man said the boys were just checking out the pool. (How did they get in?). They looked around, then left. I kept swimming and floating. I hadn't brought my watch and there was no clock on the wall. But eventually I got tired, so I got out and toweled off. Then I went back to our room. I asked Chris to turn in the pool key so the next people could use it while I took off my suit and showered the chlorine off. My scalp, which didn't itch when the bites itched, had started itching today. I had hoped the chlorine would help, but it seemed to make it worse. Chris was back long before I finished and got dressed.
I called Faye because she had left a message on my phonne, and we talked until Chris was ready to watch TV. Then he and I laid on the bed and watched two episodes of Legends. He went to bed and I stayed up to blog.

No comments: