Thursday, July 23, 2020

Unboxing the kitchen

After being so tired yesterday, I slept soundly. But at 6:30AM, I heard Reveille. Unlike at Redstone, where it is a distant melody that you might not hear if all the doors and windows are closed, this sounded like the trumpeter was right outside my window. Chris was already up. I dozed off, but eventually nature called and I had to get up. I wasn't wearing a nightgown because I couldn't find one last night. My suitcase was boxed in. So this morning I went through the hanging clothes that we unboxed looking for a blanket. (There was no blanket in there and we ended up using a quilt that was a little too small for the bad.) I pulled out a sundress and put it on, noting how the elastic had failed. BUT, I was covered. I went out to the livingroom where the two computer desks were back-to-back. Chris gave me a hug and I cried. There was something about seeing our familiar furniture in an unfamiliar place that made this move seem suddenly real.
I took the first supplement and tried to gather my wits to figure out what to do next. I noticed all the boxes had our name and an 11-digit code on them. I checked the trombone in the closet - all it had was an orange sticker with the number 19 on it. 19 is one of the numbers they were looking for yesterday that was labeled as “music box”. Maybe the other trombone is at the warehouse and they can't figure out who it belongs to.
I folded some laundry (Chris did a load last night) and put it in the empty dresser. I got out a clean pair of underwear and washed up. No showers until we find the curtain rings. I jotted notes for my blog. Then I started unpacking, although I don't remember where.
Chris said we should make the kitchen and master bedroom the priority. So we concentrated on the kitchen and unpacked lots of boxes. I unpacked more than he did because he kept having to stop for phone calls and telecons. By afternoon the entire kitchen and every flat surface around it would be covered in dishes and utensils. I said they should be rinsed so Chris started a load of plates and silverware in the dishwasher.
I stopped for breakfast at 10:30, got distracted and opened another box. I felt compelled to impose order on chaos. Several times I tried to rest, but the compulsion would get me back on my feet. It was almost 12:30 when we went to the commissary to replace the bottle of vinegar that broke in shipment. I don't know why the box wasn't even wet, much less soaked. We also got distilled water and a few other things. I looked at all their health drinks but every one of them had 'natural flavor' which is usually another name for msg. We saw Chris' boss there buying something for lunch. Soon after we got back, he and Chris were talking on the phone.
I found a roll of packing tape that was covered on both sides and contained shelf pins of all sizes and shapes. I went around to the shelving units to figure out which pins each one took. Then I went looking for shelves to fit the units. I did not find shelves for all the bookcases, however.
I was looking for shelves in the garage when Faye called and we had a nice conversation. It was a good break for me. She had the brilliant idea of using wire hangers to hang the shower curtain. So I did that. They don't slide along the bar well, but they do hold it in place. Chris and I unpacked the TV and a few other boxes in the livingroom hoping to find couch pillows. Nope. But in every room there are boxes that don't belong there. He set up the TV and got it hooked to a small laptop. I opened a bunch of boxes labeled 'lampshade' and condensed them into one box, along with their harps and bulbs.

I was hungry for steak, so Chris went to the commissary and got a sirloin and cooked it up. It was delicious, and I didn't eat it all so there is more for tomorrow. Sitting at the dining room table, I noticed that Chris was watching Michele online. She was gaming with a bunch of friends through Zoom or Skype or something.
I found a bathroom box and got very excited, but there were no shower rings in that box either. Sigh. But I did find shampoo and a bar of soap and my nasal rinse kit. I forgot what I did after that, but soon Chris was calling me to watch TV (as opposed to his laptop like we've been doing for the last week or so). We sat on the couch and watched two episodes of Legends. In the second episode, the three Fates took over the world and took away free will. People did their jobs and went home to watch Fate-sponsored TV, where all the shows were scripted to inspire obedience. The one Legend who knew what was going on, had to 'wake up' the others to the fact that their world was wrong. I wish someone would wake me up. This corona world feels so wrong to me.
So after the show, we relaxed and I fell asleep. I didn't get my blog done or turn off the wifi or any of the usual bedtime rituals.

No comments: