Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Not our best move

I stayed up late last night waiting for Blogger to upload the pic. Then I went to bed, but had trouble falling asleep. But Chris slept well. He got up just before 6. He came and woke me up. Grrr. I washed up and got ready for the day. I took supplements and ate breakfast. We packed up everything left and filled coolers with the last of the food in the fridge. I washed the dishes and cleaned up a bit. Then Chris left the keys in a little bowl, and locked the door and shut it. Then we were on our way to Dugway.
We got here about 8:30. We unpacked the car. Chris locked my purse and sewing tote in the mechanical room so it wouldn't get lost in the move. A little after 9 a man came to install the internet. Another man came to fix some siding. As the first man finished up, the moving truck arrived. They asked if we wanted them to unpack boxes and I said yes, but not the ones in the garage and fabric room. So then they gave Chris the list of item numbers to check off as they unloaded the truck. I looked up the pic of the truck from Huntsville and we realized it was not the same truck. That meant our goods had been unloaded from the first truck and then re-loaded onto the second truck. And the upshot of that was that our furniture was the LAST thing to come off the truck, but we needed it to be first, so we could unpack boxes onto shelves and tables and such. Also, the boxes were in the way of where the furniture was supposed to go. So the house filled with boxes pretty quickly. I told the men that they didn't have to wear masks on our account and they seemed pretty happy to take them off.
The men took a lunch break at noon. So I had something to eat - can't remember it now.
They came back and resumed unloading. As Chris checked off numbers, he also made a list of items that did not have a number. We didn't know if the numbers fell off or had never been put on. I personally don't know why they took unnumbered items into the house. There should have been a separate pile.
Anyway, at some point they started putting fabric boxes in the garage because the fabric room was filling up. So I started opening boxes in the fabric room and loading it onto shelves in a large hall closet. When the men finished unloading, they assembled the beds. I listened to them discuss the ins and outs, but they finally got them together. Then they all went around looking for the numbers that hadn't been checked off and trying to match them with the long list of items that were unnumbered. That was when I realized I had only seen one trombone: the junior model. Chris said neither trombone was on the numbered list and that the professional model was not on the truck, but it might be in his trunk. Before the guys left, Chris said I should verify that my embroidery machine works. So I unpacked it only to find that the power cord was not with it. After the guys left, he was going to get my purse out, and then check his trunk. But his key would not unlock the mechanical room. He made phone calls and soon someone came to the door, but none of his keys would open it. That guy went to security and finally came back and opened the door. Whew! Then Chris went to check the trunk of his car, but there was no trombone. Since the packers did not list it on the manifest, we have no recourse. Chris blamed himself for not making sure the trombones were on the list. I could not believe that so many things were unnumbered, more that were unmarked from the list. There was a broken kids night stand that wasn't ours. Plenty of our stuff was broken, scratched , crushed, etc. Most stacks of boxes were lopsided because of it. And random parts kept showing up. And the men, who were very nice, never did unpack any boxes. Maybe they ran out of time.
Chris and I looked for shower rings to hang a curtain that I bought at WalMart, but we couldn't find any. We went through several boxes before we found sheets for the bed, but there was no blanket. We walked over to his friend's house to borrow some rings, but no one answered. Chris unpacked some boxes in the kitchen to make room. I was tired and just watched. The box marked “Open First”, which had a selection of supplements and special foods that I needed quick access to, was not to be seen. Unless they packed it in a larger box, it was lost.
Finally we sat on the couch and watched two epsodes of Legends. I was exhausted and emotionally worn out. I wrote to my blog and got ready for bed.

No comments: