Sunday, December 20, 2020

It's in the mail

I had only a little trouble falling asleep. I slept through the night and into the morning. The phone was in another room so I never heard it go off. I was shocked to see it was almost 9 when I got up. Knowing the post office closes at 11 on Saturday, I started making 'fudge' right away. I wanted Michele to get it by Christmas so figured it needed to be mailed immediately. I melted the chocolate and mixed in everything else. Just as I turned off the burner, the power went out. And stayed out. I wrapped a few small things, then took a shower.

The fudge was cool enough to roll into balls, but there wasn't enough time. I took the earlier batch from the fridge to give Michele. I filled out a mailing label for her. The power came back on and I used the internet to look up prices for flat-rate shipping. There was just no good way to ship what I had.

Everything else (except the heaviest thing and the fudge) went into another box. Time was running out. I taped the box shut and took it to the post office, expecting to wait in line. But there was no line. A man did come in right after I did, but the clerk helped him while I packaged Michele's fudge in a small flat-rate box. I took a medium and a large box for later. I filled out labels and return addresses for both packages. The clerk typed them in and I paid by credit card. But the moment it went through, the power went out. She said I was lucky because otherwise the packages could not be mailed until Monday. I think it was after 11. I went out to my car but could not find my keys. I had to go back in, and sure enough, they were by the flat-rate boxes.

When I got home, the power still was out. Chris struck a match so I could light the stove. I made a quart of tea and boiled water for nuts. Then I started making breakfast. But I could not grind the nibs, chia and flax seeds. Chris tried using a mortar and pestle, but the seeds were not affected. So I added them whole to my breakfast and ate. The power came back on. I rolled the latest batch of fudge into balls and coated them with coconut flour. They were very chocolately, but a little gooey.

I deleted a bunch of e-mail. I packed up the materials I needed for class and went to the chapel. Chris came later with my sewing machine. I arrived early to turn on the heat. While waiting for the time for people to arrive, I checked out the books in the fellowship hall, wondering how many people might like to check one out since the library is closed. I played scales and then hymns on the piano. I unpacked the materials and set out the crafts. I pulled out a project for me.

Johnnie arrived a little after 2. She had her hexagon project to work on. No one else came, so we chatted. She got more done than I did. Sometime after 4, she packed up and walked home. I called Chris to come get my sewing machine. Then I packed up my stuff and moved it to the front door. I locked the door and met Chris coming up the sidewalk. He took the machine home and I followed in my car.

When I got home, I unloaded the stuff I had. I took the mid-afternoon supplement, and jotted notes for my blog. I read e-mail while I heated bean soup in toaster oven. I ate supper and read more RBTI articles. When I noticed how late it was, I made my evening drink. Chris wanted to take a break from RoD, so we watched a DVD called I Robot starring Will Smith. Chris stopped it multiple times in order take calls or make calls relating to the power outages and how to do them better. I got really sleepy and after the movie, dozed off on the couch. Then I got up and went to bed.

* Part of the library in the fellowship hall *

No comments: