Monday, June 14, 2021

Going home

Saturday I did not feel like getting up. But finally I did and went out to the living room. Michele was sitting there, having just ocome in the house. We talked. She told me I needed to get help. I took a shower while she packed my suitcase. I ate the rest of the fermented coconut milk. Faye came over. We went up to the attic to get the big trombone case. She thought there was a trombone in it, but it only had accessories in it. I showed Michele the duo-octagonal slide on Dad's trombone. I had to go through my suitcase and take some stuff out because it was too heavy for me. I put the stuff in a bottom drawer and taped my name to it.

Faye and Michele went to Cava to pick up lunch and bring it back, while I did some last minute obsessing. I opened the accordion to look for holes in the bellows. I discovered that two of the metal corners were missing. I did not see any holes. When they got back, Faye shared her lunch with me.

We put my luggage in the van, and Faye drove us to the airport. She dropped off me and Michele. Michele handled the large suitcase while I managed the carry-on and laptop. When it was my turn to drop off the suitcase, she lifted it for me. Later she made sure I got to the line for security. Then she hugged me and called Faye to pick her up. I went through security, treated like a criminal along with everyone else. The line was very short, but it was moving very slowly. Then I strode down to the last gate, having trouble breathing through the mask. As different levels of boarding were announced, I had to ask the man next to me what they said because it was so quietly done. Finally I got on the plane and settled in. It was a first class seat, but in a small plane, that just means it is a little bigger than a regular seat. As we flew, I watched a movie called Bumblebee. It sounded nice, but there was a lot of shooting and transformers and decepticons.

I asked a flight attendent to read my ticket and tell me which gate to go to. So when we landed in Atlanta, I went from concourse A to B. Then I found a departure board and looked up my flight. The gate had been changed to E26. So I went back down to the train and got on. It turned out to be the long way around: B to A to T to x to T to A to B to C to D, then to E. When I got up to gate level, I found another departure board and looked up the gate number again. I strode to the gate, again wishing I could take the mask off and breathe freely. I sat and chatted with a lady nearby and snacked. Finally we boarded. I got a much better seat, though I practically had to have a degree in mechanics to operate all the bells and whistles. I watched two movies, Chaos Walking and Chariots of Fire, which I did not get to finish before we exited the plane.

I got off the plane, and went to baggage claim, arriving just as Chris walked up. I thought he looked right at me, but then he went into the bathroom. Even when he came out, he didn't seem to recognize me right away. Anyway, we waited for some time for the baggage to arrive and then for my suitcase to come out. He rolled that, while I took the carry-on to the parking deck. He drove us back to Dugway, swerving to avoid rabbits, large birds, and rodents crossing the road. But no cows or sheet tonight. When we got home, we brought in my luggage. I checked on all my plants and watered some. The flowers from Mother's Day were still in the vase, with grungy water. I unpacked the carry-on and we went to bed.

No comments: