Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Things are not as they seem

I got up before the alarm went off. I had slept well, but woke up thinking annoying thoughts. I talked to Chris about how angry I was that there was stuff missing from the house. The Verizon system called me back from yesterday, but then I had to wait for a technician to answer. I talked to the tech, and then to a rep, and back to a tech. The first tech had me use my phone to show him the router and hookups. For whatever reason, it did not work for the second tech. To get 200mps, a tech would have to come to the house and put in a new box and that would cost $150. But for 100mps we can continue using the coaxial cable hook up. So I opted for that. She reset the router to use the cable and the internet was back up.

I fumed for awhile about stuff missing from the house. I looked at the bills to come up with a figure on what Patrick should pay each month to stay here. It seemed way more than he could pay. Then I went outside to chop away at the vines and bushes growing over the house.

I came in to wash my hands in case I touched the poison ivy. I stayed for a bite to eat and some water. I checked for messages online, then went back out. I worked until I cut my finger, and came in to wash it. I called Faye. She said William had spoken to her about the diaries and the meds that were missing. We talked and she said she was coming over. I heated up veggies from the freezer and threw in lots of garlic. I ate a bowlful. I called Federated to see if they got our fax. They said I shouldn't have faxed the papers because they need originals. I made two double-sided copies and watched with fascination as the printer spit out papers and sucked them back in, several times in order to accomplish the feat.

Faye arrived. We went up in the attic. It was like searching the pyramid of an ancient king buried with all his belongings, but without the sarcophagus. Faye found clippers in the shed and we cut more dead stuff in the front yard and by the driveway. I pulled ivy off of the tree. We put everything away. I suggested she needed to go home and nap before work. She stayed. We cleared up some paperwork, and she brought in a box of pictures. Then she left . I gathered the paperwork and got it ready to mail. I posted to my blog for yesterday, and jotted notes for today. I called Kurt thinking he had called me. We talked for some time. He wants to cross-reference Dad's journals with Mom's with Grandma's and with mine. Not sure how much overlap there would be, but it might be interesting to get all the viewpoints.

Patrick came home from work while I was talking to Kurt. I checked e-mail afterward. Patrick talked to me for a bit. Then I went to bed.

* My dad was in a band in high school *

No comments: