Sunday, August 11, 2024

Having a day of checkups and cheese and challenges

Friday

I had a hard time falling asleep the night before so I was not too surprised to wake up around 9am. I got dressed and went out to water the plants. Then I flushed several gopher tunnels, but with no results.

I read some e-mail, then the electricity went out. I went to the garden to check the irrigation systems. I tracked several leaks in the one to the peach trees. One I was able to patch and I turned off several sprinklers that were not necessary any more. But the leak in the middle of the path was beyond me. I tied up some tomato branches in my garden, then headed out. But I stopped short because Kenzie showed up with her family. I talked to her about the irrigation system. She talked to me about pruning the apple tree on Tuesday.

I went home. I made more breakfast mix, then fixed breakfast. I ate while reading e-mail. Chris came back from the office and was ready to go to the dentist. So when I finished breakfast, I poured myself a bottle of tea and we headed out. However, he needed to stop at the office on the way. Then just off post, we ran into road contruction. So we were running late. The office offered to reschedule, but I wanted to see the dentist.

We got there about 1:10. They took me right away. She cleaned my teeth and the dentist confirmed her diagnosis that a corner had chipped off a filling so it needed to be replaced. She made me an appointment for Nov. Then I went and sat by Chris who was having his teeth cleaned. I asked about xylitol gum for keeping decay at bay and she said it would take 6 grams a day. I had no idea how much gum that would take.

When she was done with him, we went to the desk to renew his plan, which covers the 6-month cleanings, and we left. We went to Lucky's and Melanie's. I stopped at Joanns to see the bone sewing machine that Saronna talked about. Then we shopped at Macey's, where I got rennet, and went home, listening to the book on CD. Once on base, we stopped at the commissary, then went home to unload groceries. I waited until Chris was done in the kitchen, then got a snack, followed by a piece of xylitol gum. I heated goat milk on the stove then added probiotics and made fermented cheese in the dehydrator. I read e-mail for awhile. I tried to patch a dress for Michelle's mom, but it did not come out well because the fabric was shredded. I took out the patch.

Chris shouted "Love you" and headed out. He picked up the guy next door and went to the ACS building for a session of gaming. I made and ate a carrot salad and the leftover ground beef. Faye called. She was at Kurt's place. The conversation went long because we hadn't talked in a while. I thought I would be late for Game Night, but Michelle texted that she was running late as well. So I finished up with Faye by 9.

Then I prepared a bottle of tea. I met Michelle at her house and gave her some cheese. She put hot sauce on it and called it comfort food. We talked and I tried to queue up the game. She called her husband and we carried him around the house to find the mouse and keyboard that were needed. Finally the game was up and I started to play. It was difficult because I could not make it go to first person view.

All too soon it was 11, so I put it to sleep. Michelle said I should come back tomorrow and play again since tonight was short. I thanked her and went home. Chris was still up. So we ended up going to bed at the same time. It was relaxing. He fell asleep first.

No comments: