Monday, January 6, 2014

Be wary of wonky blocks

Chris got an automated call last night that there was a 2 hour delay at the arsenal because of weather conditions. However, I think he got up at the usual time. I heard him shutting off my tablet which decided to replay an audio before 6am, seemingly at random. He took a shower and went to work. I went back to sleep. I put off getting up because it was so warm in bed and seemed so cold out of bed. But when I did get up, it wasn't bad at all. But it was after 10 – yikes! Lucky for me I knew exactly what I wanted to work on at quilting. I did some exercising and juiced sprouts, a cucumber, and celery. When I went out to dump the solids, the porch was covered in ice. I skimmed my e-mail by the Happylight. I got a call from Rebecca about lunch. I stuffed a scarf in the front door to block the cold air coming in at the side. I ate some aloe and rubbed the rest on my face and hands. I hung a muffler on the back door to block cold air there. Then I packed the Linus quilt blocks in a box, and headed out the garage door to quilting. There were lots of cars in the lot but few quilters because of the cold. Bertha, Carolyn, and Victoria. Maryann showed up in time for lunch, which was Brunswick stew from Carolyn. When Rebecca came, she and I went to Panda for lunch. I was going to try the seaweed salad, but they let me read the ingredients on the box of salad mix and it contained high fructose corn syrup. So I got the salmon roll instead. I did not eat the wasabi or the ginger after reading an article about both having artificial flavorings and additives. After discussing New Years celebrations around the world (and how ho-hum the ball drop in Times square was), we paid our bill and went to Michaels. She bought a die-cut there, and then we went back to the church. She left then to go grocery shopping. I worked on the Linus quilt, using the design wall to lay out the blocks. Victoria was gone and Bertha left soon after. Then Maryann came by for awhile. Roberta popped in, but not to sew. And Lauri stopped in to chat for awhile. Everyone was concerned about Barbara. When only Carolyn and I were left, the pastor came by to report on Barbara. He had visited her and the family. She was sedated in the ICU with pneumonia and H1N1, and making quilting motions in her sleep. After he left, Carolyn and I packed up and went home. It was just as cold as this morning, under 20F. I hoped the porch would still be covered with ice for a picture, but most of it had melted in the sun. I fixed the breakfast that I skipped this morning. Chris came home and made himself a burrito. He put sweet potatoes in the oven to cook. Then we had a big discussion about whether or not I watched him do it. After clearing a few more e-mails, I went downstairs to try something with a large zigzag print. When Chris came down, we watched multiple episodes of Star Trek. If only I could watch them with the same wonder and believability I had as a child, instead of seeing them as actors on a TV set. 
Chris dug out his Korea cold weather coat for tomorrow and went to bed.
*  These are my wonky blocks - never again  *

No comments: