Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Real heat

I got up a quarter after 8. The house was so quiet without the heater rumbling like an overgrown garbage truck on it's last legs. The thermometer read 55 (inside). I read e-mail until 9. I called the rental agent and she said we should have at least the heat portion of a new unit by tonight. I asked for duct cleaning, but she sounded doubtful. It was a sunny day so I opened the windows on the sunny side of the house and put a fan blowing out through a shady one. I worked out to some tunes on Youtube. I juiced broccoli, celery, carrots and kale. There was not time for breakfast. I grabbed my project and thread and a needle. I drove to the church on Jordan Lane. It was after 10:30 and the group was breaking up. But several of them showed interest in my project and thought it was cute. I talked to them, and got some sewing done. I finished after they left and turned the lights off before I left. I stopped at the Asian store to buy kimbap, seaweed, and kelp. When I got home, I ate the kimbap with kimchi. It was soooo good! Then I wasn't hungry for breakfast. I glanced at my inbox, then at the sunshine. I got a fan from the garage and an extension cord. I set the fan to blow on the wet board that directs roof water away from the house. I left the garage open as well as the door to the basement. Nothing like a little fresh air. Then I took off my shoes and raked barefoot. It was a good day for it. When I finished, I washed my feet at the hosebib before putting my shoes on. I checked e-mail again, and ate my breakfast. Then I worked on my project until I heard vehicles in the driveway. I asked them not to block the path to Chris' spot in the carport. And they didn't, but when the truck with the new unit arrived, it did. First they unscrewed and pried the old unit away, leaving ductwork exposed. Then they used a dolly to roll it away, and roll the new one over. I took the chance to sweep the cement pad with an old broom. It was full of nut shells. Then they slid the new one in place. I returned to sewing, which was very close to where they were working. I could hear them and it seemed to take a long time to line up the openings in the new unit with the existing ductwork. I came up when I heard Chris walk in. He had to park in the yard. As spongy as the ground is, the tires will leave marks. He made supper for himself and I was not hungry. I wanted to watch TV at 7, but he wanted to wait until the men were gone. One of them installed a new thermostat in the hallway. The darkness descended and the temp dropped. I shut off the outside fan and put it away, closing the garage door. I loaded the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. I cleaned the countertops under stuff I don't usually clean under. And I washed the dish drainer. They got the heat going by then, but had cosmetic stuff to do to seal it all up. I asked for the old sheet metal so I could hold down the plastic coverings on the boards which redirect roof water. I felt so bad for them as it got colder. Finally they finished up, and let us know that one of them would be back tomorrow to check the job and see if any tools were left behind. Then we watched the last two episodes of Forever Knight on the disc and called it a night – a warm night. Chris checked his e-mail and went to bed. 
*  This is the wall heater in the basement.  I find it a little scary.  But it puts out a lot of heat, and quickly.  *

No comments: