Monday, January 13, 2014

The cold is getting old

I am not sure what I was expecting when I woke up – maybe something like the scene in Dr. Zhivago where the inside of the house is covered in ice? But no, it was just cold. The outside thermometer read 48 and the inside read 56. Humidity was 39. It was kind of like waking up in Dad's house except there was no heat in the bathrooms. A hot cup of tea was just the thing to get my day started. I read e-mail, and listened to an audio on how agricultural practices generate more co2 than burning fossil fuels, and how to change the practices. The HVAC man showed up with a friend at 8:55. I was thrilled to see him because I was worried that the rain might keep him away. They left soon after, hopefully to get a new unit. I saw that Michele had posted to Facebook that she got a job. No details. I went downstairs to check for water because of the rain. Then I worked on my project, cutting pieces and placing them in my sewing box. Finally I came up to exercise to songs on Youtube. I juiced a long cucumber, and ate breakfast. I took my sewing stuff to the car, then came back to grab something for lunch. I drove to the church and found plenty of ladies already there. First I cut 7 strips of purple for the guild exchange on Thursday. Then I finished putting the blue borders on the scrap quilt, but there wasn't quite enough blue. I cut the yellow strips to go around the blue. I sewed them to the blue that was there, leaving extra for when I piece in the missing sections. Then I worked two iterations of my project. I stitched the squares together, turned, pressed and top-stitched. I did the side seams too, but could not go further without the ribbon. That was around 3:30, and constituted the last of the work I brought. So I went home. It had stopped raining. I looked out the diningroom window to see the new unit, but it was still the old one. Apparently those guys never came back. I checked my e-mail and one was from MaryAnn, so I skyped her. We talked for two hours. During that time, Chris came home. He heated up bowls of soup and sweet potatoes for us. It was good to have a hot meal in a cold house. I read e-mail, then printed a few things in the computer room, which was colder than the family rooms. Then Chris and I watched several episodes of Forever Knight, courtesy of Netflix. We turned on the wall-mounted heater down there, not knowing what condition it might be in. It did help warm the basement, but since our bedroom is over the garage, we won't feel it up there.  We turned it off when we came up. Chris went to bed (to warm the covers for me), and I want to stay up to tap, but the temp is dropping so that probably won't last long. If we get that snow someone mentioned for later this week, I may have to stand in front of the open refrigerator for warmth.
* This is Mirna's quilt *

No comments: