Sunday, January 12, 2014

There's a quilt for everything

We heard Chris' alarm go off at 9, but I could not bring myself to throw off the warm covers to face the cold air. Chris got up to fetch me my robe from the bathroom. On his return, he reported that the thermostat showed a whopping 60F, and that the heat was 'on'. Obviously it was not, and when we did get up, he put in a work order to get the heat fixed. I showered first, then ate breakfast. He showered later and got dressed. I grabbed the big quilt from downstairs and we went to church. I just missed warming up with the choir. But it was an easy song. Doris was unsure of her part, so we went into the garden room to use the piano there. Then I sat with Chris for the service. They had a part where everyone lined up to go by the baptismal font and dip their fingers to draw crosses on their foreheads. After the service, Chris brought in the quilt and we draped it over the church's piano. It just fit. Then I spoke to the pastor's wife about the craft in two weeks. And I talked to Jeanne. She told me that hospice has been coming to her house to bathe her husband twice a week for 18 months. When he became bedridden, they came twice a day: to get him up, and to put him to bed. And Medicare pays for this. I thought of my parents and how it would help them. While we were talking, Chris got a call that the HVAC guy was on his way over to our house. So we drove home. I changed my clothes and had a bite to eat. Chris left for the store but the truck pulled in at that moment. He spoke the technician, and continued on his way. It was such a nice day that I sat in the sun, barefoot in the grass. If one has to be without heat, this was the day for it. The tech showed me the engine that had seized and the blower motor which was rusted. He said replacing the two would be $1600, so he recommended replacing the whole 21 year old unit. He showed me where rodents could get in and how he could seal it off if allowed to replace the unit. He called the rental agent who had to check with the owner. I opened the windows to let the warmth in. Chris came back from the store with groceries. He put bacon and sweet potatoes in the oven. I went to the stitching group at the storage unit. I took Barbara's quilt to work on. We had a good time chatting, even those who were reading magazines instead of stitching. Denise came with her hexagons. We discussed heat and rental problems in general. She said in Texas our renters could be put out in three days. She thought we should fire our rental agent, too. In fact, she got so upset she had to leave.  Oops. The others mentioned turning on our oven to stay warm at night. It was dark and cold when we left there. But my car soon warmed up and when I got home, I hated to leave the car for the house. But it wasn't too bad at 62. Chris had hot soup on the stove for me. The sweet potatoes were only lukewarm, but I stuck one in the toaster oven. Then I put on my housecoat and we went downstairs to watch TV. Chris brought my laptop, which was strange, AND I had been having trouble with it, losing my toolbar. But as we sat on the couch, he plugged in a thumbdrive, retrieved my toolbar, and hooked up the TV to it. To my surprise, we watched the latest Sherlock Holmes movie, where they show how he faked his death, and draw the viewer into the next edition. Chris' phone rang. The rental agent told him the unit would be replaced tomorrow and that no one needed to be home. So our being without heat will be over soon. As uncomfortable as it is, I can't help feeling far more sorry for the people who live in unheated houses. Maybe that's why I make quilts.

No comments: