Saturday, January 11, 2014

New life for an old quilt

We stayed in bed late, together. Then he made his breakfast while I read e-mail and exercised. Then I made my breakfast and read e-mail while he started a game where he was NOT the GM. I investigated some PIN sites suggested in the Pinterest e-mail. I came across a series of videos on hexaflexagons. They were so cool that I had to post to Facebook. I want to make one in fabric with stack-n-whack triangles. But what do I do with the seam allowances? There was also DIY Magnetic silly putty, and frozen bubbles.
I looked through the fabrics in the garage for my project. I found water in the corner of basement near where I keep the yellows. I opened the garage doors and swept out the water there. I had to put on my housecoat to keep warm. When it warmed up, I ate lunch outside. I wanted to staplegun the shower curtain to the board that redirects water away from the house, but the board was wet, so I left it alone to dry first. I picked up sticks in the yard and then in the ditch. I cleaned the leaves out of the ditch. Then I pulled up tree seedlings growing in the leaf piles under the trees because the ground is saturated right now. Finally I swept the leaves out of the garage and closed the doors. Chris made a beef stew with veggies and I had that for an early supper. Then I went back to choosing fabrics for the project. I made quite a few decisions, but it was tough because the project is cut on square but folded on point so the print cannot be directional. I got to thinking about the church needing a quilt for their piano, and I found our old kingsized comforter from years ago. It was either the first or second quilt I'd ever made, back before we could afford quilting fabric. It is made of drapery remnants, which bled when I washed it.   It seemed to be in one piece. Since it was only tied, I decided to baste through some major points to give it some strength. It was too thick to quilt. It was almost midnight when I finished. Chris had already gone to bed, and I was too tired to stay up and tap.

No comments: