Saturday, January 18, 2014

Buying bargains (used stuff) with friends


Chris' alarm went off at 7. He got up to take a shower. I did not feel like getting up, but when he got back, I took my place in the bathroom. When I got out, we grabbed what we needed for the day and headed to Silvia's house. Chris went on to the hotel where the tournament was being held. When I got to Silvia's house, Mary and Linda were there. We got into Mary's car and went to two estate sales. At the first one I negotiated for 10 spoons, matching. They were the right size for breakfast. I washed one and used it to stir my pre-made breakfast and eat it on the way to the second one. The second one was in a really old house. It had good bones, but the peeling wallpaper was musty and dated. The lighthouse circular steps were kind of fun, but picking through the stuff strewn about up there was a little daunting. Silvia was really into it, so I followed for lack of anything else to do. I found a pair of pants, envelops of old seeds, a bow makers, and a length of ribbon. I was charged a dollar.

Then I amused myself at the keys of the player piano. It was not for sale. The picture above it was great, but too large for any space in our house. 
Then we went to an ice cream shop to use the bathroom. We visited a number of thrift and consignment stores. We dropped Silvia off at her house. Then three of us went back out shopping. I was looking primarily for a clear glass butter dish, which I did not find. I was also looking for casual cloth flats, which were not to be found, at least in my size. I did find 5 matching globes for the chandelier in the diningroom. Hungry, we went to The Garlic Clove, an Italian restaurant in Evans. They got the soup and salad bar, and I had a spinach-cranberry-goat cheese salad. For a long time after we finished our meals, we sat talking. I called Chris to see where he was and what he was up to. He and his friends were deciding where to go eat. I thought he was going to call Neale to see if they were home and call me back. When I did not hear from him, Mary drove over there and no one was home. So I called Chris and he said they left a key for me, and that he was eating at Pho Bac.. By that time, we wer visiting the new library. It was not open, but there was lots of outdoor stuff to see. Mary told me about the farmer's market in the warmer months and showed me the stone pillars and arches rescued from Evans Middle School. Then we saw the outside of the new fitness center. Finally we went to Pho Bac. I went inside to get car keys from Chris. I put my new treasures in his car. Then we ladies said goodbye and parted. The day was far too short and we agreed to meet at a warmer time, hopefully the fourth of July weekend, to do it all over again. On my way into the restaurant, I was stopped by Joe B, whom I haven't seen in years. I met his son, too. Then I sat inside with Chris and Greg. Greg, being a history/government/sociology teacher, had a lot to say about federal government influence in education. A lot. After the group finished eating and paid their bill, they went outside, where the cold was cutting. Greg continued his treatise in a way that kept him warm in spite of the temperature. When Chris could barely stand the cold any longer (he was in short sleeves), we bid them goodnight and drove back to Neale and April's house. April was home, having just put Emmy to bed. She watched Chopped (a cooking competition show) while Chris read his e-mail and I wrote two days worth of blog. April turned in, then Chris went to bed, and soon it will be my turn.

No comments: