Monday, January 20, 2014

More comfortable seating

I am not sure when we got up. Before 9, I think. I read my e-mail, did a little exercise, and sat reading in the morning sun coming through the guest room window. Then I made breakfast. There was nothing to juice. I packed my lunch and two projects. I rolled my sewing cart out to the car, but there was a pest control truck in the driveway so I could not leave. I walked around the house until I found him; he was checking out the new HVAC unit. We talked for a bit and then he left. Then I left too, for the church on Whitesburg. We had a good turn out for quilting. I worked on creating a quilt backing from yardage. Bertha got the latest text about Barbara and shared it with everyone. When the discussion turned to hair cuts, Carolyn looked at mine and brought me outside so she could trim it up. Her mother was a hairdresser. She brought pizzas for lunch. While the rest were eating, I ironed my quilt backing. Then I got out my lunch and ate with the rest. After lunch, I worked on my second fish quilt. I had bordered fish scraps with yellow, green or orange. I finished two more, then worked on putting them together. No two were alike in size. I laid them out on the table and finally found a configuration that I liked. I took a pic, then measured them and wrote down the dimensions so I could plot them on graph paper. At 3:40 Virginia's son called to say he'd be over in half an hour with the couch. So I packed up and went home to clear some things from the livingroom to aid the exchange process. Chris was home since today is Martin Luther King day. He went grocery shopping and cooked a large pot of fish soup. That was the first thing I smelled when I came home. I moved the lamps and pillows, and Chris moved the end table. When the men arrived, they took out our sofa and brought in Virginia's. One of the men remarked on the fish scent and Chris gave him a bowl of soup. I noticed that Virginia's son looks like Robert Downey Jr.  We gave them the chair that matches the couch (the leg was broken in the move) and I wrote him a check and the two men left. After putting the livingroom back in order, I ate two bowls of soup and then got very drowsy. I dozed first in the den, then back in the bedroom. I did not let myself get comfortable since I had to go back to the church. The sheets were in the washing machine and the blankets in a pile. Around 7, I felt more energetic. I laid out the backing on the pingpong table and covered it with the quilt top to make sure it was the proper size. Then I put them in a bag and drove to the church. I could not get in so I waited for Mirna, but not long. When she drove up, I met her in the parking lot and we walked inside the church so she could pick up another quilt too. When I got home, it was 8. We went down to watch the first VHS tape of Dr. Zhivago. It made me glad to have a warm home, and to not have to share it with dozens of other people. It also reminded me of a friend's husband who looks like Omar Sherif. I think she looks like Reba McEntire. Cute couple.

No comments: